Power Steering High Pressure Line Leak

I have a 1990 4Runner with 200,000 miles. I have developed a leak where the high pressure power steering line attaches to the steering box. Is it possible that tightening the connection will cure the leak? If so, how do I tighten the connection? Thanks, Tom

Reply to
Tom S

Try it and see. I assume its leaking at the screwed on fitting? If so, get the right sized wrench and snug it up. If its leaking where the fitting attaches to the rubber pressure hose, likely a new hose will need to be obtained.

Reply to
Roger Brown

My guess is that it is unlikely that it is the fitting but it is certainly worth a try. I am not sure how those particular fittings work, but be careful about over-tightening any compression fitting as you can ruin them. You will probably have to use an open end wrench but a 'tubing wrench' is best (basically a box wrench with an opening on the end to slide over the tubing) if you have one as this will maintain firm contact with five sides of the nut.

BTW, if you need a new hose there are shops that will 'rebuild' that hose for you. As long as the metal fittings and tubing on the ends are in good shape, they can replace the hose portion. The metal part is normally not going to be what is leaking anyway - it will be the rubber or the interface between the metal tubing and the hose. It's not dirt cheap, but will certainly be cheaper than a new hose assembly.

I just found out about this - there is a CarQuest parts house here in town that does this work. I took my a/c lines over there and -- two hours later -- I had two 'new' hoses. Awesome! If I had to buy them from Toyota, it would likely have required a second mortgage on my house to finance, if they were even available. As it is, it cost me $70.

I asked if they could do the same for power steering and fuel lines and they said they can do anything but brake lines (not allowed by law.)

Good Luck,

Luther

Reply to
Luther

When my '89 4Rnr developed a similar leak, it was the pump itself. After surveying used pumps (none!) and pricing replacements (prohibitive!), I purchased a rebuild kit from the Toyota dealer (~$25US).

It was straightforward, although the FSM was invaluable. Perhaps a 2 hour job that took me 4 hours. (Hint: Loosen the nut holding the pulley while the pump is in place with the fan belt tensioned.)

Reply to
Ms. Manners

Thanks, Luther, Roger, and Ms. Manners. On closer inspection, it does look like the leak is not the fitting, but the hose connection to the fitting. I will try to tighten the connection of the hose to the fitting, otherwise I will certainly go with the replacement of the hose portion through a local shop. I feel fortunate not to have to replace the pump or steering box!

BTW, is the high pressure hose really just a rubber hose in the middle portion, clamped to metal tubing and connectors at each end?

I appreciate everyone's feedback and help. This is an awesome newsgroup!

- Tom

Reply to
Tom S

Yup, it's just a rubber (really a synthetic polymer) hose usually connected to a double-flared tube via a compression fitting. Of course, it's specifically rated to operate at the required pressure. The high pressure hose is a composite that is typically reinforced with some type of high tensile-strength fabric. Really, this application is not that high of a pressure (I'm guessing somewhere around 50 psi max). 'Rubber' hoses are available that can handle thousands of psi.

I'm glad you were able to diagnose your problem and that you don't have to buy an expensive part.

Good luck getting that hose remade.

Luther

Reply to
Luther