Power Steering Noise - 2001 Tacoma

Help, please. I have a noise every morning, when I first start up my Tacoma DoubleCab PreRunner - with 45,000 miles on the odometer. It appears to be something to do with the power steering. I can start the engine and cause the noise by backing out and turning, or just sitting still and turning the steering wheel back and forth. By the time I get out of the driveway and down to the corner stop sign two blocks away, I can twist the wheel and it no longer makes the noise. The truck can sit all day in the parking lot at work, and doesn't have the noise when I start the truck to come home - only in the morning. I'm not good at describing noises, but it is sorta like it has sand in the gears.

Anyone else run into this problem? Appreciate any ideas.

Frank in Fort Worth

Reply to
<dilloworks

It may have some air in the system, if pump is giving you good power assist I would not worry about it. You may jack up the front end, remove the reservoir cap and turn the wheel slowly side to side without the engine running. this will tend to remove any air in the system. I would do this when the vehicle is cold over night. If you ever install a new pump it must be bled of air like this to keep it quiet. Once air is in the system it is hard to get the air out. If you turn the wheel too fast while bleeding you may get some overflow from the cap opening. As long as the steering assist is good I would not worry about it. Ford pumps used to be bad about making noise and the driver had to live with it because air got in the system. Put a pump on a ford and don't bleed it properly, the new pump will make noise.

Reply to
Thudd

I think so, but I will check. Frank

Reply to