Problem with 4-Runner instrument panel light/dimmer

I have a 2000 4-Runner. For some reason I decided to install an aftermarket stereo. When it was all said and done everything worked except the lighting on the instrument panel. The warining lights on the panel work. The light that indicates "D" or "R" when in drive or reverse also works. The only problem is the overall illumination of the panel. I can't see a thing at night.

I tried fooling with the dimmer switch. I tested all of the fuses and they are fine.

Would the dimmer relay have something to do with it? Could I have pulled out a wire somewhere?

Does anyone know where this light plugs into (i.e. behind the dash or glovebox) so I can see if pulled something out?

Any help or input would be appreciated.

Regardless - Thanks to all!

Reply to
Anonymous

The original stereo probably had a dashboard gauge light in the wiring bundle so the original stereo could get it's display dimmed when the dashboard lights dimmed. Check and make sure that wire didn't shorted out or is broken when you installed the new stereo. Looks like the solid green wire and a white with a green strip wire powers the illumination lights.

If interested, email me privately and I can forward you the wiring diagram in pdf format.

Paul. Phoenix, AZ

Reply to
Paul.

Paul that wiring diagram would be great. I didn't see your e-mail address so if you dont want to post it you can e-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.

Scotty - Does the dimmer plug that you refer to look similiar to the antenna plug but its half the size? Where is the dimmer unit?

Regardless - thanks to both of you for the help.

Reply to
Anonymous

Should be beside the drivers left knee on the dashboard.

Reply to
Scotty