ProLock; Anyone know how to get replacements?

I bought two new 1996 Toyotas; a RAV4 and a Tacoma. WHen new, the dealers had installed ProLock security systems, in which, one has to insert a small "plug" with a computer chip on the end, into an outlet under the dash, in order to start the vehicles. A nice system, in that the vehicle cannot be hot wired, and can only be started with the chip. However, over the years, the chips have all broken; not the chip themselves, but the round circular clip that enables one to attach the chip to a keyring. It is a little more annoying when one has to carry the chip separately. ProLock has allegedly gone out of business, as the contact numbers are invalid. I haven't been able to find anything about them on the internet. Does anyone have any other sugfestions? thanks a lot!

Reply to
rollee

Buy 2 part epoxy and make your own clip. You could embed a small key ring end into it. Rough up the remainding plug with sand paper first. Once hard the epoxy can be carved with a Dremmel tool to the proper size.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Post your question on alt.locksmithing and you may find a source of new chip fobs.

Reply to
Rad

You can purchase replacement ProLock Keys as the following web site:

Mr_Fisher

You can purchase replacement ProLock Keys as the following web site:

Mr_Fisher

Hey! Thanks for the information! Although I couldn't get the link to work, I was able to get to the main site, and I will call them today. Thanks a lot!

Reply to
rollee

Hey! Thanks for the information! Although I couldn't get the link to work, I was able to get to the main site, and I will call them today. Thanks a lot!

Reply to
rollee

I need alot of help fast. My prolock key is shorting out and the chip is melting. I need to know where i can get another chip, How to disconnect prolock, or anyway to straight wire the plug in. Please help me thanks. Matt Huffman

Reply to
imafirefighter

melting. I need to know where i can get another chip, How to disconnect prolock, or anyway to straight wire the plug in. Please help me thanks.

I posted an inquiry like this a while back, and just yesterday, a fella responded with what looks like a good source. I wasn't able to call them yesterday, but here is the original post:

Subject: Re: ProLock; Anyone know how to get replacements? Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:09:37 -0600 From: "Mr_Fisher" Organization:

Newsgroups: alt.autos.toyota.trucks References: 1