Pulling and replacing exhaust studs

I have an '84 22r and am wanting to replace the exhaust system from the head out. I have one broken stud. I've removed broken or stripped bolts from motorcycle blocks before, but I'm told that the exhaust studs in this engine are much harder and being old will be difficult to remove.

First, how do I remove the broken one and second, how do I remove the unbroken ones? Please give some detail. In essence, I know how, but I want to remove them with the least amount of trouble and not pulling the engine out or apart. What lubricants should I use and what bits, etc.?

Thank you

Reply to
Brad Taylor

I have removed broken exhaust manifold studs sucessfully in the past using the "Studout or Screwout tools. They are a combo left handed drill bit and self threading left handed collet. You just select one that is a little smaller than the stud,center punch it, drill in and then use a wrench on the collet which will grab the inside of the drilled out stud. Carefully work it out in a CCW direction. But first heat up the area with a torch and then soak with Marvel mystery oil penetrant at least overnight. When drilling the stud, go slow, with very little pressure, the Studout drill tip is a titanium alloy and will go through any steel, but if you snap it off then the only way to get out the broken part is with a diamond tipped Moto tool tip. They are lifetime garunteed, if you break one, just send in the pieces and they will send you a new one, no charge. The unbroken studs I would heat up with a torch and soak with penatrant over night, then use the double nut method or buy a stud remover. This method worked for me more than once. Good luck and go SLLOOOWWW. JMTCW

Reply to
Joseph Myers

Thank you. Just how do I go about heating up the stud? I assume a propane torch. Could I damage the head?

Reply to
Brad Taylor