Q: Dash bulb replacement 2005 4Runner

I have a real stupid question. i know, no stupid questions -- just stupid people...

My toyota dealer quoted me 1.5 hours of labor (incredible) to replace a dash bulb in my 4Runner. The bulb in question lights up the functions for the center (there are 3 knobs; this is the one in the middle) climate control knob. The LED tips of this knob light up just fine - but there must be a backlight bulb that luminates the function (A/C, temp etc.). When i open the tray just below these knobs, there is a phillips screw right there - is this the proper place to start, or should I explore popping-the black trim (that surrounds the 3 knobs) off? Let me know, Harry in Montreal.

Reply to
Harry in Montreal

I don't know the answer, but if you don't get it elsewhere...

$10 buys you 24 hours of access to the same repair docs as the dealership @ techinfo.toyota.com. There have been occasions where I've spent the $10 simply as a sanity check, or simply to measure the PITA factor per dollar.

Reply to
Valued Corporate #120,345 Empl

Don't know your exact car, but that's usually how you get the dashboard instrument cluster and the heater/AC control panels out - they have screws that install up into the panels so you can't see them unless you use a mirror.

Then pull out GENTLY - sometimes one corner is held in by a spring clip and you have to gently pull out - but before you apply much force stop and look first to make sure you didn't miss a screw. Have a hand mirror and a flashlight handy to see hidden items.

And the heater controls are likely to have wire push-pull control cables attached to operate the fresh air damper doors, they need to be disconnected from the lever arm before it comes all the way off.

When you get it open change all the lamps now, even if they are not burned out yet - they all have the same operating time on them, and if you buy the mechanic's 10 lamp box they are well under $1 each.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I think you will need to remove that Phillips in the ashtray area. Also need to pull the heater knobs off and use a small hook to pull the heater control cover off. I suspect there will be some screws behind it you need to remove, then the heater control will pull out. Gently!! & good luck. Sometimes Crutchfield has diagrams.

Reply to
ed_herman

I have the same problem on my 2003, haven't motivated myself to look into it yet but I have the manual, so see if this helps.

Archon

Be aware that my '05 Tacoma climate control panel prys off from the bottom with a plastic putty knife or trim tool. No need to remove knobs. The 4Runner may be similar.

Reply to
Valued Corporate #120,345 Empl

I am having the same problem with an 03 Prerunner. ed-herman wrote(Sometimes Crutchfield has diagrams) How do I get to Crutchfield?

Thanks

Reply to
Charles