Question: 1990 4runner Revving Noise?

Hey all,

I've been looking to buy a second generation 4runner, and I think I've found a good candidate. It's a 1990 SR5 w/ 140k miles on the body, but about 1000 mi. on a rebuilt V6. It has the auto tranny and all the trimmings. I gave it a thorough test drive, and it's got a few issues, but nothing major (I think). One is the alignment isn't perfect, and another is a little brake steer. Those can be dealt with.

But the big question is that there's a high-pitched sort of whine whenever I hit the accelerator. The tone seems to increase in pitch the faster the car moves, independent of the RPMs. So if I'm going

40mph at 3000rpm or if I'm going 40mph at 2500rpm, it sounds the same. (not sure on that, but from what I recall). The other unknown is that I can't tell if it's coming from the front or rear-end, I didn't have anybody with me to identify the direction the sound was coming from. I plan on getting a buyers inspection, but I was wondering if anybody is familiar with such a noise (or other similar noises) before I take it in.

Also, if anybody happens to know a shop in or around Federal Way, WA that could do a good job on a buyer's inspection, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks! TC

Reply to
TC

If it's coming from the rear it could be a bad wheel bearing.

Reply to
Joseph Wind