Question on Servicing the Manual Steering Gear Box

Hi...

A few days ago I posted a message about a clunking sound when making a left turn. I have a 1988 Toyota pickup, 2WD, 22r engine, manual steering.

I believe I have narrowed the problem down to the manual steering gear box. If I twist the steering column back and forth right before the gear box, it makes a sort of clunking sound...and the feel is similar on the steering wheel.

Other than replacing the steering box, which I do not want to do, I assume it is serviceable. Hopefully it just needs some new gear oil. Has anyone serviced their gear box before? What steps are involved?

There appears to be a ventilation nut on top that probably can be removed and oil added, but I figure I would ask if anyone has prior experience...

TIA

Tom

Reply to
Tom

"Tom" wrote: > Hi... > > A few days ago I posted a message about a clunking sound when > making a > left turn. I have a 1988 Toyota pickup, 2WD, 22r engine, > manual > steering. > > I believe I have narrowed the problem down to the manual > steering gear > box. If I twist the steering column back and forth right > before the > gear box, it makes a sort of clunking sound...and the feel is > similar > on the steering wheel. > > Other than replacing the steering box, which I do not want to > do, I > assume it is serviceable. Hopefully it just needs some new > gear oil. > Has anyone serviced their gear box before? What steps are > involved? > > There appears to be a ventilation nut on top that probably can > be > removed and oil added, but I figure I would ask if anyone has > prior > experience... > > TIA > > Tom

It has been a VERY long time since I have owned a vehical with manual steering and serviced one as well. They do use regualr gear lube though. I would suggest 80w/90 or 85w140.

Reply to
SnoMan