Radiator Recommendations

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had some good aftermarket radiator recommendations. I have a 1992 4cylinder 4WD Toyota Truck Xtra Cab with 170K miles. I installed a new Modine radiator from Napa in it

50,000 miles ago and it's already corroded. It was cheap,($127.) Now they go for $147, but I'd be willing to pay a little more if anyone knew of a better quality aftermarket radiator.

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
ender

I've been running a 3-row GoDan radiator in my '85 for about 6 years now:

like new, it was much heavier that the CSF unit it replaced, muchheavier walls.

What sort of coolant and water are you running? I run only the Toyota Red coolant and deionized water in mine. Corrosion is often due to running hard (tap) water and possibly from the wrong coolant.

Reply to
Roger Brown

The corrosion is usually caused by electrolysis. Be sure you renew your coolant every two years to refresh the corrosion inhibitors. Ask someone in the know about grounding straps connecting different parts of your engine to the frame and thence to the battery negative post to get all parts at the same electrical potential and minimize electrolysis.

I've heard good things about

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Thanks for the GoDan link. I will check it out. Did you order it online or from a local retailer?

I've been running a 50/50 mix of that eco-friendly coolant (I think it's called "Sierra",) and distilled water. I'm going to try the Toyota Red coolant with the new radiator.

Is it a good idea to drain the system then run some regular water through the system with the old radiator a few times just to get rid of all the old coolant?

-Brian

Reply to
ender

Thanks for the tip about the grounding. I hadn't thought about that.

On the Performance Radiator site they have two possible radiator sizes for my truck. I measured the Modine I have and it falls in between the two Performance Radiator sizes. I asked at the dealership, but they didn't have the measurements for the OEM radiator. Any suggestions as to which one to go with?

-Brian

Reply to
ender

Local radiator shop in my case, you can also order from radiator.com and performanceradiator.com among others. I found the local shop worked well, a bit more up front cost, but they let me test fit radiators, return them if they don't fit and even did some free repair work on the radiator in my other rig.

Might want to check and clean the engine block and head ground straps. As mentioned, electrolysis can cause corrosion, too.

Yes, flushing is a good idea. I pull a a heater hose and shove a garden hose nozzle inside and run water through forward and back, heater valve open and closed to flush it out.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Reply to
scott and barb

I thought all Modine radiators came with a Modine Gold Card Lifetime Limited Warranty --- at least their web site says so. I always keep the warrantee info on toyota parts --- 2 Walker mufflers, 1 Bosal exhaust system, Monroe gas shocks --- all replaced free under warranty after many years. Guess they don't expect you to keep the vehile 10 years!

Reply to
Wolfgang

Modine screwed me on their warranty but, at least NAPA was stand-up enough to replace my 4Runner radiator for free. Like Wolfgang said, say all your paper work.

Andy K.

Reply to
Andy K.