RAV4--improving gas mileage?

I have a 2001 RAV4 (I'm the original owner) that currently has 25,000 miles on it. It's a 5-speed stick, 4x4, L-series. I have all the normal maintenance stuff done on time, the gas I use is the octane recommended in the owner's manual, and--if I may say so myself--I'm an excellent driver. I'm happy with the mileage it's getting, but I'd like to improve it anyway. I'd appreciate tips on things I can do, or have done, to make it even more fuel-efficient. Kindly keep in mind that I am not mechanically-inclined and therefore don't know what might be added/changed to accomplish this.

Reply to
WCJ

I'm generally unimpressed by any mechanical doo-dad you can bolt on to improve mileage. The most outlandish claims such as magnets on the fuel line to align the gas molecules (rolls eyes) are snake oil. Those that might actually work - special air intakes etc. - do so only incrementally, cost a lot, and any gains are modest enough to be negated by sloppy driving habits.

You're already doing part of what you should be doing with the regular maintenance. Keep your tires inflated correctly. Don't haul around any more weight than you have to - keep the golf clubs at home. Look in your manual for the shift points - speeds at which upshifting is recommended. Accelerate gently. Anticipate traffic and signals so that you don't have to change speed abruptly. Plan routes that eliminate stop and go driving. Don't speed, particularly on the highway where wind resistance is highest. If you have anything that sticks up into the air stream like a bicycle roof rack that you don't use very often, consider removing it.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

I agree that improving gas mileage with any add-on is generally futile. Anything that isn't futile (like a new computer chip or low flow exhaust) will generally cost a lot of money or have a trade-off. Improving your driving habits will give the best result for the least amount of money.

In addition to the finding the shift points mentioned in the last post, keep your tires propperly inflated and your engine tuned up. Keeping them inflated to the top of the recommended range will give the bes gas mileage. Don't overinflate them or you will wear out the tread faster in the middle of the tire. Keeping your engine tuned (adjusing timing, installing new plugs, cap/rotor,& air filter) and replacing spark plug wires when they exceed the max recommended resistance will keep your mielage at its peak.

Second, when you see traffic slowing down or when you are getting off the highway on an offramp, disengage the clutch and let the vehicle slow naturally until you need to brake. Don't keep your foot on the gas pedal until the last second. Whenever possible, shift into the highest gear possible (even in the city). You will need to shift down to accelerate, but it will save gas.

Third, don't accelerate all of the way to the speed limit when leaving a stoplight/stop sign if you see that the next light is still red.

Simple habits like this can improve your overall gas mileage by 1 or 2 mpg depending on what your current habits are like.

Reply to
crashq

Change tranny fliud with fresh 75w90 and run tires at or near max pressure to reduce rolling resistance. Higher octane fuel will help too. I do not use 87 octane in anything here but tractors and mowers and a old 79 truck with 8 to 1 compression.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

5w-20 oil in summer and 0W-20 oil in winter. (Mobil 1 is an excellent choice).

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

In a 2001? Not in my car. I have gotten better than 40 MPG out of some hi mileage Tototas running 10w30 bacisally year round. Unless it gets down to 15 or 20 below a lot, 10w30 will work fine and that little 4 bannger works hard and it needs more than 5w20 or0w20 to live a long life at this point. I do not advocate switching to SYN oil in older engines either.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Yeah, but do NOT enter a 55 mph highway doing less then maybe 50 unless slow or tight traffic REQUIRES it. That's obnoxious & dangerous.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That's part of route planning - a ramp with a long downgrade is preferable to one with a short upgrade.

And as one who learned to drive in Lost Angeles I concur that, regardless of the posted speed limit one shouldn't enter a highway at anything more or less than the speed at which traffic is already moving. Even if it requires downshifting and flooring the accelerator to match speeds by the time the acceleration lane ends.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

Violators should be fed to sharks. Which reminds me: Do you remember when Dodge Darts were the most popular car on the road with people born before calendars were invented? Then, it was K-cars. I think I'm seeing a new trend for this hip age group: Subarus. Observe and see if things are the same on the left coast.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I've been passed by plenty of WRX's and STI's.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I don't know which models those abbreviations refer to. But, the station wagons seem to be big with people who look like they need to be gone over with a feather duster.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Fast Subarus, some are very fast.

It's not the car's fault. I had a 2001 Outback wagon (complete with manual transmission) that was lots of fun to drive. Sometimes, it was so much fun, I'm surprised I didn't hurt myself.

Where I live, the folks who smell like mothballs usually drive Volvos, Saabs, and Mercedes sedans, not to mention Avalons, LaCrosses, and Lincolns. The Volvos often have John Kerry and Harvard stickers on the back.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I agree. Crown Victorias are also popular with the living dead, but firm up the suspension and you've got a pretty rockin' vehicle. NY State Troopers like them.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

But the classic GM in house joke is:

"According to a recent poll, the average age of a Buick owner is deceased"

Reply to
tak

My son and I have been trying to hammer out a suitable plan for stopping me from inflicting me upon the driving public at the point where it becomes "an issue". Since old folks area capable of arguing a chicken right off the bones, this will require deceit and trickery. I suggested he spike my coffee with 2 shots of Jack Daniels, which should knock me out. Then, take my keys, sell the car, and blah blah blah...

My ancient neighbor lady's got a double floodlight mounted above her garage door. It's aimed straight out toward my bedroom, and even with shades & curtains closed, it illuminates the room like a 60 watt bulb. She rarely uses it, but visitors to her house regularly hit the switch by mistake and then leave. Last time he visited, I asked her son if the lights could be adjusted downward, as they should be anyway. He was fine with the idea, but wanted to check with her. She comes storming out of the house, yelling at me about how nobody has complained about this in the 50 years she's lived there, and anyway, she never uses the light. I commented that if it was never used, I wouldn't be asking for it to be adjusted. Then, she points to the pole light in the yard, which has a tiny bulb and is not an issue, and says "I am NOT turning off that light! I need a light in the yard!" Her son mutters "oh boy..." and "Ma...we're talking about the floodlights, not the pole light". Anyway...he borrowed a wrench from me, waited for her to nap, and adjusted the light, which was on HIS to-do list to begin with.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Keep your vehicle well-tuned up. Tires inflated, filters changed, inspections, etc. You lose a little with a 4x4 and automatic transmission, but you can gain better gas mileage with improved driving habits. For example if you take a lot of short trips, doing them close together helps (a warmed up engine performs better). Driving without the A/C on helps too.

Reply to
Phisherman

I wouldn't know - I'm no longer on the left coast!

This is not a trend I'm seeing in CenTex. Buicks and Crown Vics are more the norm - except for the Volvo driver, bald on top with the long gray ponytail and the Democratic / Green party political stickers. But that's a local demographic.

ObList - the Highlander hybrid is popular with the more wealthy of this set as well.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

its not the car.....check the license plates.... look for the tags with the little wheel chair on them..... here in the south they give those out for dain bramage!!

Reply to
Noon-Air

Here (NY), they give them out just for being morbidly obese. This way, the morbidly obese can be "closer to thee, mine Hostess Twinkie display".

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I've never had anything but 10w30 in this RAV4 because that's what the owner's manual said to use. And since I'm in Southern California...well, let's just say it's HIGHLY unlikely that below-zero temps are something I need to worry about! :)

Reply to
WCJ