Re: 4runner: clunk! when tight left turn...and misc ?s

Here is the solution...I had my "clunk" fixed on Monday, July 9th.

My 98 4Runner SR5 Auto had a clunking sound coming from underneath "somewhere" whenever I made a left turn...OK when going straight ahead or a right turn. I posted the problem on this forum sometime ago but can't find it now, so I'm posting here in hopes that it may help someone. Anyhow, I took it to a dealer. Turns out it's the sway bar linkage on the left front wheel. It was broken. He suggested I replace the right wheel linkage also...seemed reasonable, so I did. Bottom line cost was around $450 parts and labor.

Reply to
notamechanic07

Ouch!

You can replace sway bar linkage in your driveway for under $100 in parts. Usually the linkage itself is okay, but the bushings wear out.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You got ripped off big time! Universal sway bar mounts (a pair) with urethane bushings are probably under $30. Depending on just what these linkages were, probably under $50. The rest? Globs of profit!!!!!!!!!!!! What you had done should have been under $200 with a front end alignment.

Reply to
Mike Dobony