Re: Ballpoint Pen Ink on Leather Dash

What about oxi-clean?

Jbpettway wrote: > > > I have a Toyota Avalon that I recently purchased and one of the kids > > accidentally marked the leather dash with a blue ballpoint ink pen. How can I > > remove the mark? > > > > Jim Pettway > > Don't know about leather, but ordinary hair spray does a pretty good job > with ink in fabric or on plastic. Also, saddle soap may help. I'd > definately use saddle soap if you try hair spray, because of the alcohol > and/or other ingredients... > > TOM > ----------------- >
Reply to
RG

Not good for leather. Use a product made for saddles. If it is good for $5000 show saddles, it will work for your dash.

The stuff in an auto store? Junk. Go to a real tack/saddle store.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

No...the leather used for saddles and the leather used on vehicles are not the same consistency.

Any protectant cleaner made for saddles should not be used >RG wrote:

Reply to
The Gunslinger

Amway makes a good product called "LOC" which I like for this. It won't hurt the leather either and it's biodegradeable. I don't know if you can buy it on line but you can try.

** remove .invalid from my email address to reply by email **

Reply to
dbtexas

Are you sure the dash is leather? I don't see the 'leather dash' option on Toyota's website. If it is vinyl you can use something like 'Goo Gone' or 'Sticky Out' (craft adhesive and ink remover made from citrus oils) and rub it right out easily with a soft white rag.

But if for some reason you do have a leather dash: I'd be wary of any non-vehicular leather cleaner product like saddle soap (the dyes are different, as are the leathers and the uses.) Also anything quoted as strong enough to remove ink might also remove the dye from the leather, discoloring it, so be sure and test it in an area which won't show for colorfastness.

Meguiars makes some decent leather cleaning products for cars.

Automotive leather can be treated like other fine leather furniture. There are a number of excellent leather cleaners and protectants commercially available. Remember that leather is a skin. Any extremes can contribute to deterioration. Avoid extreme heat and cold, excessive water and dryness.

To clean interior automotive leather wipe spills with a damp cloth. Apply protectant regularly to keep leather moist and supple. An occasional wipe with a damp rag will help in removing surface residue, which over time can leave a soiled appearance.

Don't try cleaners, solvents and other usually normal cleaning solutions on leather. It is by nature a very porous material and often cannot be completely restored.

Basically since leather is dyed all the regular methods of removing stains don't really apply. The experts recommend just using some leather conditioner and wipe - the moisture raises the inks to the surface for easy wiping (but that depends on the soil). Good luck! Dee

Reply to
Pookerz

Lexol works very well.

Reply to
Skip

They also make stuff for clothes, furniture, and boots. Ususally slod at the same or simmilar stores.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander