Re: Catalytic Converter Anti-Theft Protection

Well, a Senate committee is part of the group that mandated we have catalytic converters in the first place. If not for them, this conversation would not be taking place...

Reply to
HeyBub

I stay out of crappy neighborhoods, especially after dark. If your area of your city qualifies as crime-ridden, that is a hint to move elsewhere. It simply isn't a major concern. I got my car broken into several times at work 20+ years ago, so I started getting there early so I could get a spot inside the secure perimeter. I moved out of the apartments that were going section-8 to get away from people like that. Only been broken into at a shopping center once, and they were idiots- used a slap-hammer on the hatchback, when the doors were unlocked. Knock on wood, haven't been a crime victim in over 5 years, since I moved to this blue-collar subdivision with the nosy retirees and the dogs. (Only downside is I have to sit outside on Halloween to pass out candy, because a single guy in a house still gets the fisheye from 'normal' people.)

Reply to
aemeijers

SMS wrote in news:4c8e7cf9$0$1623$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sonic.net:

The federal Clean Air Act was amended by Congress in 1973 to mandate catalytic converters for all 1975 model-year cars. There was talk of delaying the imposition for a year or two past 1975, to give automakers a change to better develop catalytic converters, but they actually delayed it until 1981 (IIRC).

Honda's CVCC system was much more cost-effective than, and just as effective as, a catalytic converter, but with the imposition of the cat law, Honda halted further development of CVCC, since it suddenly became a legal dead-end.

Cats remain mandatory to this day.

Reply to
Tegger

Try a bullet hole in a prominent front facing window. I inadvertently lauched a wayward slug through my 2nd story bedroom window overlooking my street side garage/driveway. Only had one theft of two unsecured stainless steel kegs. My fault, as I left them in plain sight. Other than that, no probs in 10 yrs, despite living half a block from a high school.

People used to ask, "Is that a bullet hole?" "Yes", I'd reply. "How did it get there?", they'd invariably follow with. "Kinda makes ya' wonder, don't it!", was my final word on the subject. Worked infinitely better than that lame old sign, "This property protected by Smith and Wesson". ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Ah, that's 100% true. :-) Okay, I concede the fact that legislators cause catalytic converter theft. We should put them in prison.

Reply to
Desertphile

George sounds like a tea bagging boy to me

M. Balmer

Tea bagging, or tea party?

Reply to
First of One

Yeah, I suppose so. I have not been following USA lunatics in the news, except for that weird O'Donnell woman who apparently ran on some kind of "sex is evil" political platform.

Reply to
Desertphile

one in the same. they picked the title, so they're stuck with it

M. Balmer