Re: Differential bearings

> Desertphile's Desert Soliloquy. WARNING: view with plenty of water > "Why aren't resurrections from the dead noteworthy?" -- Jim Rutz

If the drum is worn there will be a lip on the edge. If the brake shoes are adjusted where they should be, ( in light contact with the drum), you will have to back off the shoes to get the drum off. I use a thin bladed screwdriver to hold the clip out of the way and run the adjuster back in with another screwdriver. If as one of the OP's posted, the shoes are not run out the drum should come off, unless it is rusted to the axle flange. I have not seen any drums that did not have two opposed threaded holes on the face of the drum. (Doesn't mean there aren't some out there) The hole sare in the flange area just outside the studs. I believe they are threaded for 8mm. If your drum is full of dirt and rust you may be missing them. A good wire brushing should help find them.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

Greetings and thank you for the advice. The vehicle has nearly

250,000 miles on it and the rear breaks have *NEVER* been replaced (frightening, isn't it?): that is why I suspect there is indeed a lip inside the drums. I looked on the repair manual and the drawings do indeed show five small holes in the break drum other than the five holes for the lugs. So I went and pulled the wheel off.

There are the five smaller holes, and there are also two holes 180 degrees apart right next to the hub's rim. They must be what you are talking about; I assume I must put two bolts in those holes and slowly tighten them evenly?

Thank you again for mentioning these holes. There was a time I did most of the repairs myself, bun in the past 6 years I've only operated the vehicle 6 or 7 days out of the year.

As it is, I'm sure I must buy new break drums; I already have new shoes.

Reply to
Desertphile

I have a 93' 4Runner, and have yet to replace my rear brake drums or shoes for that matter. Everytime I open it up to check, they are still good. I have a manual transmission, so it helps keep the brake wear down.

When I mentioned the size of the bolt, It's the head size and not the screw measurement. It's probably 8mm like Anyolmouse said, but I just use what fits. Just make sure it turns ok and does not strip the threads. A little WD-40 or similar lube will help too.

Reply to
Rastamon

I have been looking at what is involved with replacing the stock differential with the TrueTrac I bought. It looks like I do not have the tools required. Bloody hell.

Reply to
Desertphile

I need to replace the front rotors on my 4Runner. I'm considering while I have the rotors off, I might as well install locking hubs with either Warn or Aisin. I'll know for sure once I get all the parts.

Reply to
Rastamon

That sounds expensive. :-) It must be nice having all-wheel drive; where I live I am stuck at home during winter and also during August due to snow, ice, and mud.

Reply to
Desertphile