Re: Engine Noise 2003 taco V6

Noise similar to a valve rattle (ping) after engine has been driven

for 15 minutes and at speeds of over 60 MPH. Noise comes and goes depending on load, accelerating (no noise) foot off gas (noise)summer time no noise ever. Heavy acceleration, pulling on to interstate (no noise) backing off on gas a little noise until I reach a set speed (my choice).

Don,

I know this is an old post but perhaps somebody else will see it. It sounds like I'm having the same problem on my 2001 Tacoma V6. Here are my symptoms:

1) Noise reminds me of worn bearings. I never hear the noise with a cold engine. Noise doesn't appear until the truck has been running at highway speeds for at least 15 minutes.

2) I only hear the noise when above 30MPH and I only hear it at part throttle - just enough throttle to maintain a constant speed. I don't hear the noise when accelerating or with my foot off the gas pedal. I don't hear the noise when the truck is in park and I rev the engine.

3) I had the water pump and timing belt changed and a 60K service while the truck was in the shop. The sound disappeared for a few days but it back again.

Anybody have any thoughts or questions?

Scott

Reply to
Scott Randolph

Turns out the noise was a dry grease fitting in the driveline. Have to give the local Toyota dealership (Town and Country in Charlotte, NC) credit for finding the problem. The day I took the truck in the noise was quiet. I had no expectations that they would find and fix the problem. They test drove the truck a number of times and then sent a message to Toyota. Somebody at Toyota recognized the description. A squirt of grease later the problem has been fixed.

Reply to
Scott Randolph