Re: hard starting 4Runner

>> >I have the same year 4Runner. I think the fuel pump turns on when the key >is in the ON.

thanks

If it cranks OK, it might be the Ignition Coil. If you can >test your fuel line, it should put out 40PSI. Another thing to check is the >Mass Air Sensor.

the problem I'm having thinking ignition is because of the time intervals between last running within 24 hours - no problem within 48 hours - oh oh within 72 hours - had to drag out a second battery

and I've heard don't touch gas pedal. is that because the computer will then thinks it's started?

Reply to
thedriver

If you have to drag out a 2nd battery or need to jump start it. Your CCA must not be high enough to get it started? When you crank it, will it turn or will it just stop and notice the lights go dim? Check your fluid levels in the battery. If you have a charger, hook it up on the OFF days, and see if it will start the following day.

I had a problem with my last battery, it was less than 3 years old on a 72 month rating. It would not hold a charge, even if I left it on the charger for a few days. I was able to get a full refund, since it was still under warranty.

I have an 86 PU (22R), and it will crank almost forever if I forget to pump the gas. It's carbureted so I have to step on the gas pedal to engage the choke. Though I sometimes forget not to press the gas pedal on my 4Runner, it happens.

Reply to
Rastamon

Does your air cleaner have the moveable flap in the top? If so, with the key in the on position, when you move the flap I believe the pump will run(if you can hear it?)

Reply to
ed_herman

Thanks but checked battery & it's fine for now. Lots of power to start. You get used to the 'timing' of a start. And the sound of the engine turning over at whatever rpm. Usually it starts right away, like the first 3 seconds of turning the key (16 years). But miss a day everything sounds the same but just keeps turning over and over. I even stop & start again. Guess it's off to the dealers.

Reply to
thedriver