Re: Oil Filter Anti-Drain Valve

I ordered oil filters on line for my engine and the filters I

>received do not have anti-drain valves. The OEM filter does have the >anit-drain valve. Does the Highlander V6 really require an oil filter >with anti-drain valve?

why save a few bucks and add to engine wear?

and I'm surpised anybody makes filters these days without anti-drain valving.

Reply to
JeB

As stated, I bought the filter unaware of their anti-drain valve status. I have not used them. My only question has not been answered. I don't want to damage my engine. Can someone serious answer the question?

Reply to
Mr. Extra

We don't know what filter number you were sent, or what the proper applications for it are supposed to be.

Ford filters will fit on many Toyota's (the threads match) but in that case the anti-drainback valve is the least of your worries - on Toyota's you also need to have a pressure relief valve inside the oil filter to deal with letting cold thick oil go around the filter element for the first minute on a sub-zero morning.

Ford puts the relief valve in the engine block, Toyota in the filter. A Toyota could stretch the seam and literally blow the top off the Ford filter with the cold start oil pressure, then dump all your motor oil out on the ground. If you don't catch it in time (and who stares at the oil pressure gauge all day?) that is a recipe for a ruined motor.

Send those filters back and make sure they send you the right ones for your car, with the relief valve and anti-drainback valve.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Thank you for being someone with sense. The filter is 90915-YZZB1 manufactured by DENSO. Do you have any information on this filter (now that you have the number) or can you refer me to a source? Thanks again..

Reply to
Mr. Extra

I've been waiting for MDT Tech or someone who knows the oil filter applications chart by heart to chime in - I don't. Sounds like it's the right part number for a Toyota, at least... ;-)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Reply to
rmlishbrook

Engines always start up without any oil pressure. And the drainback valves are not absolute seals, they slow down but don't completely stop the oil in the system from slowly leaking back into the pan.

All the drainback valve in the filter does is shorten the time between starting and when the oil pressure comes up to normal and oil gets to all the bearings.

The BIG problem is when you use a Ford style PF-8 filter on a Toyota engine, because Ford filters are the simplest - just a filter element, period. Ford puts their oil filter pressure bypass valve (and drainback valves if they have one) in the engine block permanently, while Toyota's put them inside each oil filter...

Put a Ford filter on a Toyota, park it in sub-zero weather, and start the car - the oil pressure from the oil pump to the filter spikes because you can't flow frozen oil through the restriction of the filter element, and one of two things happens:

It either rips a hole through the filter paper (meaning that the motor oil won't get filtered at all until you change the filter, and you don't know it) or the pressure blows the seam out of the oil filter can and dumps all your engine oil out on the ground.

If you lose all your oil and don't see the oil pressure gauge drop to zero or notice the OIL idiot light until it is too late and you start hearing loud noises, the engine is toast.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

When I lived in Denver, I parked outside year-round. In the morning when I started it up, it sounded like the engine was full of little men, beating on the inside of the engine with equally small hammers. The truck was about a year old when I moved out there and was 8 years old when I moved back to California. I figured if it (a 22R) could stand up to that for 6 winters, it could stand up to about anything...

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM