Re: Oil Filters...

I don't know much about the technical stuff, but perhaps you could ask your friends/wife/etc. to accompany you on a fun trip to the dealer, and you each buy ONE filter???

Reply to
crosem

Questions about oil filters abound. You are not alone. Check out this forum (BOBISTHEOILGUY) on oil filters:

Bill M.

Reply to
Fish Head

I did some digging and found a site that has some good info on oil, sludge, and filters. Guy seems to know his stuff.

Also he links to a site that did some research on filters (link has changed since he updated so here it is)
Just FYI, I have no idea how useful those links will be, I just found them interesting.

I think I remember a while back someone on this newsgroup saying that Purolator made Toyota's filters, but I have no idea if that info was accurate or not. I usually just buy the Fram Double Guard or Extra Guard, which ever is the best buy when I am shopping. I stick with Fram mainly because I don't have to look anything up, I have the numbers memorized for all our vehicles (even the Prism, which we sold two years ago.) Silly reason, I know, but I've had no problems with them and I change my oil on a regular basis. Nearest dealer is over 30 miles away, so I decided it's not worth the trouble ;) Dee

Reply to
Pookerz

Purolator oil filters are made by ArvinMeritor Corp., a major supplier of auto parts to the auto makers. Most Toyota filters are made by Denso.

In addition to Toyota filters, I like WIX and the indentical Napa-Gold, Baldwin and the indentical Hastings, Purolator, and Bosch Premium.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Ken: Please note,Denso has bought out Purolator. Stay Kool......

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN

WT

ArvinMeritor and Denso had a 50/50 joint venture called Purodenso manufacturing filters in Tennesse, apparently mainly for the Japanese automakers' U.S., Canadian, and Mexican plants.

Denso bought out ArvinMeritor's interest in that venture, but not the "Purolator" line of vehicle oil and air filters. "A recent key development was our acquisition in June 2001 of U.S.-based component manufacturer ArvinMeritor, Inc.'s 50% stake in joint venture Purodenso Company. The move, which makes Purodenso a wholly owned subsidiary of DENSO, is designed to expand Purodenso's operations to meet customer needs and reinforce our presence in the Americas. Purodenso is a manufacturer of air, oil, and fuel filters and air induction systems."
Note that the Purolator name is also used on hydraulic and industrial filters and ventilation air filters manufactored by Clarcor Corp. Clarcor is the parent company of Baldwin & Hastings filters.
Brand names get bought and sold like any other business asset, but it sure can be confusing. Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

I've done some extensive research on oil filters and oil. The absolute worst rated filters on the market contain the Fram and Pennzoil brand names. For a budget filter look for something manufactured by Champion Labs such as STP, or Duetsch. The best rated filters are the Mobile1, K & N, and Amsoil filters but they will run you around $9 to $12 each. For a reasonable filter the Bosch line and the high end Purelators are good, about $6 each. My oil definitely looks better after 3,000 miles with the Bosch filter. Another suggestion is a magnetic oil plug or a filter magnet. An independant study found that the Toyota filters actually weren't very good over a

3,000 mile interval. Not only is filter media important but flow is just as critical. If the filter goes into bypass mode due to being too restrictive that is worse than having a poor quality filter element.
Reply to
Al Z

You left out one very good filter, which is "AC Delco". Most AutoZone carry them for around $3.50 plus tax.

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN