RE: Pits in Crankshaft Eating Front Oil Seal!?

Thanks to JeB and TOM for turning me on to the 'wear sleeve' concept. This was a new one on me.

It took some looking through the parts catalogs at the local parts shop and, after some study, I finally decided to take a chance on one that was listed for -- believe it or not -- the 'oil pump seal' of an '00-'02 V6 Toyota engine. There was not one listed for my '88 3VZE, strangely enough.

Turns out my gamble paid off - the sleeve fit perfectly. The installation tool that came with it was too short - but, a five-inch 1 1/2" pipe nipple did the trick nicely. There is a flange that I had to 'cut-off' afterwards which was a bit of a pain but, once that was done, I had a nice smooth surface for my oil seal to ride on.

If anyone ever needs one of these for the front side of the 3VZE engine, National Redi-Sleeve No. 99157 will do the trick. It fits shafts from 1.572 to 1.578 in. diameters

I am looking forward to a leak-free engine - my driveway and I thank you for your help.

Luther

Reply to
Luther

I wondered what the shop did to install it.

Did you need to use any locktite or similar adhesive to hold it in place, or did it go on tight enough to hold on its own?

I'm glad it worked out so well. My sleeve has 80,000 miles on it and nary a drop or drip.

My shirts should last so long!!! :>))

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

Like I said, it comes with a 'tool' that looks like a cap that slides over the crankshaft and can be used to pound the sleeve on with a hammer. It pushes against a flange that is on the end of the sleeve that goes on first. So, if the flange is in the way (it was for me as it interfered with the cam that operates the oil pump) it has to be cut off with a pair of dikes or what have you. There is a score on the sleeve and, once your cut reaches the score, the flange portion of the sleeve pretty much peals off.

According to the directions, if the shaft is badly scored, powdered metal type epoxy filler is supposed to be used to fill the groove. Then, a light layer of non-hardening selant is supposed to be applied to the inside of the sleeve. A fellow at the shop said he just pounds the things on and is done with it. That's what I did as I missed the part in the instructions about applying the sealant, but I don't see how it could ever slip as it took some pretty good smacks with a two-pound sledge to get it on and the only moment is has to overcome is the friction of the sleeve's surface against the oil seal.

Hope mine works as well as yours has. I think it will - I turned the engine over a few times and it looks pretty good.

Thanks again,

Luther

installation

Reply to
Luther

The repair on my 22re had 50k miles on it when I sold the truck and working great.

Reply to
JeB

If my 22r ever needs another sleeve, I'll tackle it myself. Thanks for the blow-by-(sledge hammer) blow description... :>))

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM