Re/Re rear suspension 91 4x4

Hi, I'm just fishing for opinions and info on redoing the rear of my truck. I'm pretty sure it's all hooped back there as on shock is clearly leaking fluid and with even a light load it sags more on one side then the other(that also happens to be the side with the leaky shock).

I'm almost about to go to Canada Spring and get them to throw in some brand new springs and shocks too. I'm thinking of going with rancho 5000's as the tech there said 9000's would be a waste of money in a stock truck. I'm also thinking of adding heavier duty springs as I will on occasion throw quite a bit of weight in there. See

for an example.

All this I believe they said would be in the vicinity of $1500 CDN installed.

Am I on the right track here?

Cheers,

-Andrew

Reply to
DruG

If you drive empty one day and loaded the next, you don't want heavier than stock springs or Add-A-Leaf overloads, the truck will ride like a buckboard wagon when empty. Air springs and an onboard compressor is the answer.

(Add-A-Leaf springs may be "adjustable" but nobody takes the time to crawl under there and adjust them. And it won't take much Canada Winter to make the adjusting bolts rust up solid.)

Have your springs checked, the one on the low side may have a broken leaf. If you need to replace them do them as a set, and go for the stock spring rate.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Thanks Bruce, put like that it does seem more clear. Is there a level of spring quality that is better than stock? I suppose just making it all new again wil be a big improvement anyways. I'd just like to know if there's a little more I can do for the truck as I quite enjoy it on and off road and would like to give it a little treat.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Reply to
DruG

The same companies that sell the Super Fancy Lift-Kit Springs (like Rancho) should also have the stock replacement springs. It's just a matter of a good grade of steel, properly formed and tempered.

Check with the local dealer parts counter and the online sellers of factory parts before you commit - if they're hungry for the business you might do better than the aftermarket prices.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman