Re: Removing 2wd Brake Rotor

I have read the shop manual but the directions seem to be for an older

> model. I have a '99 Tacoma Prerunner and need to remove the rotors to > have them turned. > > Can someone tell me how to get these things off? I cannot see where > they are bolted on. There is a silver cap in the middle of the hub but > it appears to be presses in and cannot be removed. What am I missing?

That silver cap probably _has_ to be removed. The wheel bearing nut is under that, secured by a cotter key. Be sure to repack the inner and outer wheel bearings while you have it apart. Get the shop that turns the rotors to do it, using a grease packing tool. Doing it by hand is messy and not as effective.

On one of my old vehicles it was possible to remove the rotors by unbolting the spindle bearings. I'll bet you aren't that lucky.

Tom S

Reply to
Tom S

Packing regular open-cage roller wheel bearings by hand is messy, true, but it's just as effective if you do it right (cupped palm and force the grease in with a scooping motion), almost as fast, and wastes a lot less fresh grease. That's why they invented paper towels and hand cleaner.

Some rotors are cast as one-piece with the hubs, others unbolt and slide off over the wheel studs, leaving the hub and bearings alone (but some have the factory speed-clips or screws holding the rotor to the hub). Can't tell you which you have, but you should be able to figure it out fast enough.

And 4WD adds another layer of complexity to the procedure, you have to take the locking hub apart to get the wheel bearings off to get the hub & rotor off...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Wups! Sorry. I meant to say that it was possible to remove the rotors _without_ unbolting the spindle bearings. I think that was my 1998 Chevy Malibu.

Tom S

Reply to
Tom S