Re: Tacoma hot start problem FIX!

Latest update on my 1996 Taco 2.4L 2WD with hot start problem. I got tired of having my engine check light on so I investigated further an found the following anomalies:

  1. Fuel pressure is not as specified in the Toyota service manual. The fuel pressure according to the manual is supposed to vary from around
30PSI at idle to about 42PSI at full throttle. My fuel pressure was always at 42PSI. I thought that since the pressure was not as stated I would replace the fuel pressure regulator and my problem would go away. Well it turns out that either the Toyota service manual is incorrect or the way the fuel pressure regulator is hooked up on my Taco is incorrect. For more info about this problem contact me.

  1. The truck has always seemed to ping a bit.

To solve the hot start problem I decided to solder in series with the IAT sensor a 2K pot so that I could adjust the IAT signal sent to the computer. This works great. On my truck adding about 100 ohms of resistance is enough to start the truck even under the hottest conditions. Once the truck is running I back the pot off to 0.

Reply to
samwise_i