Re: Tires losing air - alloy wheels

Here's a mystery. Last January, my mechanic installed a set of Nokian WR

>tires on my 2002 Tacoma. Great tires for snow & rain, but they have a >constant problem with losing more air than any tire I've dealt with in 35 >years of driving. Example: I'll fill them to 34 lbs (cold) when it's 40 >degrees outside and a week later, they're down to 22-25 at the same outdoor >temperature. One of them was down to 15 yesterday. The truck came with >Goodyears which were useless in snow, but had no such problems on the same >wheels. > >I've been going to these mechanics for 20 years and they're no hacks. >They've been endlessly helpful in trying to solve the problem. Typically, >when tank testing the tires, they've found miniscule leaks around the >balancing weights, so they've tried different weights, to no avail. They >found little or no corrosion on the rims.

Are these alloy or steel rims? If they can see a miniscule leak, that's where it's leaking from - it doesn't tale much of a leak to drain a tire in a week.

Alloys can get scratched at the rim easily and leak - there are paint-on rim sealing compounds that can be used. But to make it easier on yourself, get a separate set of steel rims for the snows, so you aren't changing tires on those alloy rims twice (or more) a year.

It's also possible that a gorilla at the tire store didn't apply enough soap or manhandled them during mounting and ripped the bead sealing area on the Nokians. It should be visible, but...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Do you use a valve stem extension ? Or Is the inside of the valve stem screwed down all the way ? Some times that will do it. Good luck !

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN

No extensions. As far as the second question, don't know. But the particular guy who works on my truck is about as obessed with details as one can be, so for the moment, I'll assume so. This is a guy who, during the last 5 oil/lube visits, has been pointing out the most likely undercarriage things to rust, and then break when he needs to adjust/unscrew, etc. Then, he grabs a small brush, cleans off the accumulated filth, and applies some sort of rust preventative stuff.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

If all else fails, you can put tubes in them. Radial tubes aren't cheap though.

Reply to
max-income

Try having them use the stick-on weights...... I used to install tires many years ago and we used them for most alloy rims so the weights wouldn't scratch them.

Mac

Reply to
Mac