Rear diff options for 86 2WD truck?

I've got a Xtra cab long bed truck, and I'm moving from California to the North East. The "one-wheel-drive" of my current truck isn't going to help a whole lot on slick roads.

Are there any options I have for putting on a limited slip, or maybe some form of electronic locker to help if I'm in the snow?

Any experiences with something like this?

Reply to
Yost

The last thing you want on icy roads is a LS or locking diff of any kind, unless you enjoy doing 360's. Best bet is 300-500# of ballast over the axle and a steady hand. A push-button locker is appropriate for getting you un-stuck or negotiating a short stretch of deep snow, but the rest are pretty dangerous on ice.

Reply to
Dan G

When I lived in Denver I had a couple of sand tubes that first I draped over the wheel wells. This made the truck feel tail heavy so I made a frame out of 2X4s and put them across the bed at the front. I had no shell on the truck and it was always parked outside, so when we got snow, the bed would fill up evenly, providing quite a bit of weight and suburb traction . As the weather warmed up, the snow on the roads would melt as would the snow in the bed. Everything equaled out quite nicely... :>))

I lived about 25 miles from work and in seven years of living there (6 winters), I only missed one day of work because of snow...

Tom - Vista, CA

Dan G wrote:

Reply to
TOM

Once upon a time I had a Willys FC-170, it was the most nose-heavy thing you could imagine. I could raise the rear axle off the road by slamming on the brakes! It was rated 3/4 ton, but would carry most anything. Anyway, I used a 55 gal drum, cut in half and each half up-ended and filled with sand then staked to the bed over the axle. I have no idea how much they weighed, but I'm sure it was substantial once they got water-logged. Probably close to a ton. That thing would go anywhere with that sand in the back.

Reply to
Dan G

I guess I wasn't thinking about driving around with it on, but more getting myself out of piled snow, like you'd get when a plow comes along and blocks you in. When I lived in Virginia, this happened to me a number of times, and I had to take a lot of time to dig out.

A push button locker for getting out would be ideal.

Reply to
Yost

even with ice, PowerTrax NoSlip can be useful if you dont slam the gas.

air-locker or electric-locker is also good, but i would rig it so it does not unlock at Xmph.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Most 2WD trucks came with a 7 1/2" rear diff. The 1 ton 2WD trucks came with tha same 8" diff that the 4WD trucks came equipt with. The

7 1/2" rear diff doesn't have any options as far as traction aiding devices. The 1 ton axle will bolt directly to the trucks with the 7 1/2" rear. If you don't have the 1 ton rear, you'll need to find one in a junk yard. The swap is quick and easy. From there you have all of the options of the 4WD trucks. I would suggest some type of limited slip. I think you'll find that with a couple practice sessions in snow covered empty park lots, the benefits of limited slip in the snow far out weigh the disadvantages. Very little is more dangerous than not being able to move in traffic. I have limited slip in the rear of my '85 4WD Toyota pickup and only 4WD when the now is more than a foot deep and during the summer on trails. Its handling is extremely predictable when its slippery out.
Reply to
Travis Hammons