rear differential locking up on 1994 4x4 pickup

My 1994 Toyota 4x4 short-bed DX 22RE truck with 107,000 miles has recently started exhibiting a strange, troubling behavior. This truck is stock with all factory drive train and suspension parts, and I think it has the limited-slip rear differential.

In 2-wheel drive (transfer case setting 2H and front hubs unlocked), at low speed, the rear wheels exhibit the kind of skittering and scrubbing I normally associate with trying to drive in 4-wheel-drive on dry pavement. I think this indicates a partial or total differential lock is occurring in the rear. In a straight line there is no problem, but when turning the effect is prevalent. The effect worsens with a tighter turn or applied power or when the truck has been driven for a while.

I'm going to go change the fluid right now to see if that helps (and to see what it looks like), but does anyone know if this is a fluid-related problem or if this means my differential is shot? I think the fluid is right at

15,000 miles old, with mostly city driving, and I've noticed no leaks.

Thanks for any help!

Richard

snipped-for-privacy@hotmailDOT.com

(remove AT and DOT to reply directly)

Reply to
Rich

If it has a clutch-type LSD, then you need to be sure and use a gear oil with the limited slip additives/friction modifier. That usually will help smooth out operation on the clutch-type LSDs.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Thanks for the response. I've been using gear oil labeled for limited slip differential use.

Just changed the fluid and took it for a test drive. Still a problem. I now realize the locking is only occurring in hard left turns going forward or hard right turns in reverse, so I'm guessing there's a mechanical problem.

I'm not willing to take on differential surgery myself, so any advice as to whether to take it to the dealership or one of those transmission/differential/custom truck places? I guess the question is, is there any reason to go with factory parts and service for a differential or am I better off (both in terms of reliability and price) with aftermarket?

Thanks again!

Richard snipped-for-privacy@hotmailDOT.com (remove AT and DOT to reply directly)

with the limited slip additives/friction modifier.

Reply to
Rich

Highly unlikely that it is a factory limited slip diff, check your VIN plate to be sure:

You can pull the 3rd member pretty easy, 4 nuts hold each axle to the housing, disconnect e-brake and brake lines, slide the axle shafts out a few inches and remove nuts and pull the 3rd member out. Aftermarket gears are fine, make sure they are installed and set up right.

Or just pick up a used 3rd member from a junkyard,

it out.

Reply to
Roger Brown