Rear (rare) Bumper

I have an 89 Pickup (SR5 V6 4x4)

I have looked high and low for a used OEM rear bumper.

This item seems to be pratically non-existant.

One just sold on Ebay for $280 + $55 S/H.

Local dealer has new for $214.

Fronts are readily available everywhere I called.

Anyone have any ideas why this is such a hard to find item?

Norm

Reply to
Norm

They aren't. You found at least two.

-paul

Reply to
Paul Cassel

And you can't read.

What part of "used" do you not understand?

Norm

Reply to
Norm

How about:

Roger Brown

these trucks did not come w/ bumpers, i had to buy my from the dealer after i took delivery.

they also fold up pretty easily when you back into telephone poles (cause u got to hammered at the yankee game the nite before)

Reply to
miike

We stock them, comes in chrome or black and price includes brackets and all hardware. So its really not rare at all.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

67 million parts and they do not have what I'm looking for.

Norm

Reply to
Norm

I posted an honest request for assistance and all I got was bullshit.

Don't anyone tell me this item is available untill you have spend over 100 hours on the phone and computer looking for it.

That part is a fact. I was simply asking for reasons why.

Norm

and screw you

Reply to
Norm
100 | hours on the phone and computer looking for it. | | That part is a fact. I was simply asking for reasons why. | | Norm | | and screw you |

You remind me of the dog that bites the hand that feeds him!! I will sell you the one that is on my '87 4X4 now. It is dented, rusted and bent. BUT!-- it is used. Make me an offer? Oh!, You pay the shipping from Texas too!

Reply to
Dumpster

Of all the people on this newsgroup to say "Screw You" to, MDT Tech is probably the person you *least* want to. Just MHO, but seems like a bad hill to die on.

Besides, he said the place he works stocks them, so.... WTF is the problem... You'll probably not find a cheap used one. Just bite the bullet and buy a new one. You will be happy.

Reply to
Celica Dude

Huh, I can walk up to our rear counter man, tell him I'd like a chrome one and walk away with it in about 2 minutes (he has to go upstairs to get it) so if you spend 100 hours on the phone looking for it, maybe try looking in a different spot. Mainly a dealers parts dept???

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Black painted ones go for about $150 (retail) and chrome about $200. Smoking deal too. All in stock!

Reply to
MDT Tech®

You guys totally missed the point!!

Re-read my original post.

The question is "Why is the rear chrome step bumper for the 89 - 95 Toyota pickup (READ OEM) almost impossible to find at salvage yards from Maine to Florida and PA to CA?"

Part Number 0028-35911-13 is avaliable from my local dealer for $215.00. That is not the point.

I posed this question to several auto salvage professionals. This answer was, that is the first item to go when a wreck comes in. Sooo, WHY is the first thing to go? Nobody seems to know that.

I have my own theory. The Toyota OEM rear bumper is a sub-standard piece of crap. Of the 50 plus junk yards I called, I was told that the ones in stock were all rusted out. Exactly! That is the reason I initiated this quest in the first place.

BTW my rear bumper (OEM not aftermarket) was replaced due to collision in

1996, so it is only 8 years ols and rusted through. The front bumper is original (15 years old) and not a speck of rust.

So, the original reason for my first post is to either support of refute my hypothesis.

So far, no one has offered any useful data.

Norm

Reply to
Norm

Well, I can think of several:

  1. Most pickups came with out them.

  1. Many didn't buy one.

  2. Many who bought did not get "chrome".

  1. Many who did buy, bought non OEM.

  2. Accedents.

  1. Rust from bebris from no mud flaps.

  2. Rust from salt.

  1. Damage from improper towing.

  2. Theft?

  1. At this point there are none left.

#1, 3, 4, 5 all aply to my personal experiece over 10 years of my standar cab

2x2.
Reply to
MBOSCHERT

Sorry, didn't realise this was philosophy class..

Reply to
Celica Dude

Norm, the OEM rear step bumper center section from those years was made up of several flat steel plates wrapped on the top, bottom and back side by a THIN chromed steel veneer, water gets trapped between the plates, especially if the plastic hole covers are removed and they start to expand due to rust so you end up with a warped bumper in a couple of years. Really a poor design on Toyotas part especially since the rest of the vehicle is almost bullit proof. I was on my 3rd one and was going to replace it with an aftermarket step bumper (JCW, around $175) when someone elses insurance paid to replace it after a minor rear end collision. All the used ones are probably rusted and any good used ones are snapped up quickley to replace a rusted one.

Gary W.

Reply to
Gary W

That'll teach ya not to go to Yankee Games...:P

Zed Oakland A's Seas>

Reply to
zed

HEY NORM THEY FLAME ME FOR MY CAPS LOCK TOO. DON'T FEEL BAD. ALMOST MAKES ME SAD THAT I'M A TOYOTA OWNER, EVIDENTLY THIS IS THE KIND OF PEOPLE THAT OWN THEM. HEY, BY THE WAY GUYS, I DRIVE IN THE LEFT LANE TOO, WHY, I LIVE IN MISSOURI AND IT'S MUCH SMOOTHER THAN THE RIGHT. OCCASIONALLY I WILL YIELD TO A MORON BEHIND ME THAT WANTS TO SPEED BUT, ONLY IF I KNOW THERE'S A COP AHEAD. :-)

BY THE WAY, I WILL BE CARRYING SOON, SO, HOPE YOU DON'T RUN ACROSS ME AND PISS ME OFF.

DAMN THAT WAS WAY OFF SUBJECT!!!

Sorry, didn't realise this was philosophy class..

Reply to
nospam1