rear sliding window on Tacoma

I'm contemplating buying a tacoma (xtra cab or double cab) but haven't decided if a rear sliding window is a good or bad idea.

With this in mind, what do you think overall of a rear sliding window (good or bad idea) ? I guess with the xtra or bigger cab, I can't reach it easily from the driver's seat? Also is it subject to more problems than a solid rear window in the long run such as leakage or more vulnerable to break into from this window compared to a solid rear window? Any thing else I'm over looking when considering a rear sliding window aside from purchasing cost?

** remove .invalid from my email address to reply by email **
Reply to
dbtexas

I forgot to mention I will have A/C in the truck.

** remove .invalid from my email address to reply by email **
Reply to
dbtexas

I find the rear sliding glass pretty handy actually it has some great airflow when your cruising along, I have A/C as well but when driving around town i just use the windows and the glass is easily movable from the drivers seat, no problems at all. It's also nice if you have a puppy it has a place to stick it's head in or out of.

So to summarize that xtra cab with a rear sliding window = good idea :)

Cheers and Happy Trails

Biohazard

Reply to
Biohazard

You'd have a hard time finding one without one now. It would probably be special order.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

i couldnt live without mine. no problem to reach it in my xtra cab. no leaks or any other problems in the 4 years i've had it. i have ac too, but use it less having the slider

Reply to
Tbag

I got two words for you:

Drive-in movie

We got to the drive in, and back the truck up to the screen and sit in the bed with the window open.

Tailgating or other situations I suppose are similar.

john martin

Reply to
John Martin

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:19:14 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net.invalid found these unused words floating about:

If I'd had the choice ... I'd not have gone for one before I bought my DC! Now with the topper on I find it great to draw air through the cab for a quick cool down, push air through into the topper.

It is unreachable from the driver's seat without half clambering onto the console.

Since I'm a desert rat and we're into the 110-115 season, there's not been a problem keeping the DC comfortably cool.

I've not yet found, in the few cloudbursts we've had, any leakage problems.

Reply to
J. A. Mc.

That's almost three words! :)

Reply to
Mike Tinsley

the only thing that bothers me about it is that I have a shell on the truck, and both the glass on the shell and the glass on the sliding rear window are tinted, so that looking out my rear view mirror is like looking into a dark cave.

Reply to
Trebor

Any thing else I'm over looking when considering a rear

One thing that is not obvious from the factory descriptions is that the sliding window and the tint package are one and the same, at least on the DoubleCab. No slider, no tint. On the other hand, you can have the whole truck custom tinted for less than the cost of the slider.

Reply to
houblues

Reply to
Sallows, Sher & Tim

I have a 2000 Tacoma w/ a Slidig rear window. I love it, but there is only 1 problem I have had. A few months ago, my truck was broken into thru this window. The plastic latch is easily broken by a screwdriver wedged between the 2 glass panels. I now have a "duct-tape" lock on mine because the new window is going to cost me almost $500. But I would stil recommend the sliding window over the solid.

Reply to
Jason Bowman