Recommendation for Tundra tire chains?

I have a 2005 std cab V8, 2WD (no ltd slip differential!!) Tundra with the stock tires. Making a trip in the next few months and I'll have to traverse some interstate mountain passes. Depending on the conditions, some may require use of traction tires/chains to pass.

I had a set of traction 'cables' a few years ago and used them on a VW Jetta....they didn't work very well at all so prefer to steer clear of that style.

Appreciate any recommendations. Thanks. Nate

Reply to
N Williamson

I have a 04 double cab Tundra 4x4 TRD and put on BFG all terrain TKOs they're great in the snow and mud! one of the best all round tires out there IMO. I own a forestry consulting business and am in the bush on logging roads in all weather and on mountain passes etc... Strongly recommend the BFG All Terrain.

Reply to
notmyrealname

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:14:03 -0800, N Williamson found these unused words floating about:

You might check here for the available options in chains - not all types fit all vehicles.

I bought these for a 2002 Tacoma DC:

J. A. Mc.

I have a 2000 Tundra Access cab 4WD and drive a lot in ice, snow and mud. After years of using regular tire chains, having them fall off, come lose, having them beat my fender wells and remove a wheel cylinder, I spent some money on Spikes-Spiders. They take less than a minute per wheel to put on and come off even easier.

They are expensive but after the first time I used them at 8000' in a windy, snowing 20f temp, had I never used them again they were well worth the price. I've had them for over 5 years and haven't had to replace any parts.

Take a look:

I got the sport modelthat actually has chains as opposed to steel fingers going across thetire tread.

No, I don't work for them or own any stock in the company. I'm just a satisfied customer.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

Thanks. Those are expensive for sure, but no doubt worth it if you're in that environment. With a cost as high as the spikes, I could just stay in a hotel for a few days and wait out a storm or for a clearing of the road.

What I'm really looking for is a one time use, just-in-case, sort of thing. Once I make it through the pass, the truck will live in a snow free area.

I'll definitely keep these spikes in mind for my cars though!

Nate

Reply to
N Williamson

I've found the diamond pattern tire chains the best. Regular ladder-style chains are OK as are heavy duty cables (not passenger car cables on a truck).

has the choices...you might find better total prices locally.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

in article uIAxf.54165$km.17929@edtnps89, notmyrealname at "NoSpam"@all.org wrote on 1/12/06 2:26 PM:

I'll second that... I've had them on a Jeep, and I have them on my Land Cruiser now, and as soon as I can afford it I want a set on my new Tundra. They are great everywhere except mud. They do really well on snow.

I remember I had a set on my Wrangler... that year at elk camp, it snowed like an SOB and my Jeep was fine. Then I switched it over to Goodyear MT/R's because it's real muddy over in western Oregon, where I and the Jeep USUALLY are, and the next couple years in elk camp, in which it also snowed like an SOB, were hell on wheels. Those MT/R's sucked once the snow got packed down on the ridgeline roads, or when it would melt and refreeze. It makes my palms sweat to think of a couple of "traverses" I had to do at 5 am, to get to trailheads I was hunting, on those tires. Truly frightening stuff. No lateral grip, and death awaiting on one side of the road, and the road tilting to that side... shudder.... They were good in real deep snow when clawing through it down to dirt was in order, I'll give them that.

BFG AT's clog up real quick in thick clay. Other than that they are awesome.

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen