Recommended maintenance intervals

I just bought one Yaris and one LandCruiser 120, diesel. The dealer wants me to come for oil change after 7500km on both, but the former Yaris I had used 15000 km intervals. The Cruiser is due in 7500 km as well, according to the dealer. He has his own booklet and I haven´t seen Toyota´s original book! This seems like a ripoff. Anyone know Toyota specs in these matters? I know that many people have opinion about frequent oil changes, but I´m not looking for that. Just hard facts from Toyota.

Reply to
Lardass

Ray Ban

Lardass> I just bought one Yaris and one LandCruiser 120, Lardass> diesel. The dealer wants me to come for oil change after Lardass> 7500km on both, but the former Yaris I had used 15000 km Lardass> intervals. The Cruiser is due in 7500 km as well, Lardass> according to the dealer. He has his own booklet and I Lardass> haven´t seen Toyota´s original book! This seems like a Lardass> ripoff. Anyone know Toyota specs in these matters? I know Lardass> that many people have opinion about frequent oil changes, Lardass> but I´m not looking for that. Just hard facts from Lardass> Toyota.

Hi,

For this particular case, I believe 7 500 KM is good, and 15 000 KM is dangerous, and it seems Toyota has been advising 7 500 KM for quite a time in all Diesel engine (BJ42, Prado, and many). See below.

I have to say I have the exact same problem, but without even speaking of any dealer.

Example:

- RAV4, petrol, 2000: * Owner manual (french) says you must change oil and filter each 15 000 KM * Haynes repair manual (US) says you must change oil each 3000 miles (~ 5000 KM) and filter each 2 oil change !!

- Prado, diesel, 2000: * Owner manual (french) says you must change oil and filter each 7 500 KM * Gregory repair manual (AU) says you must change oil each 5000 KM and filter each 2 oil change !!

While I can cope with the Prado situation, by using synth oil and changing each 7 500 KM, which has done very well over the last 100 000 KM, I'm a bit lost with the RAV4 situation. For sure, it makes a lot of difference for the engine between 5 000 and 15 000 ! I'd like to hear any experience/advise here.

Maybe one day, repair manual writer will be kinda coherent with manufacturer ...

Reply to
Herve Regad-Pellagru