Removing dealer's advertisements

The dealer has applied an embossed vinyl license-size plate fastened to the inside of the bed liner. I called the dealer and they told me if I removed this plate, there will be a hole where you could view the cab. I was wondering what others might do to remove the dealer's tag? It is fastened with plastic rivets. Another thing the dealer did was put their name on the carpet floor mats---sheesh.

Reply to
Phisherman

Gently pry the edge of the plate up and take a look - I'll bet it's only on the surface, and if you remove it there will be a solid surface with the holes where it was attached. And probably the logo of the plastics company that made the bed liner.

You can always find a few more of the plastic rivets to plug the holes, or fill them with black Polyurethane roofing sealant - comes in a caulking cartridge, sold as a premium seal for flashings and edge metal. Sets hard like caulking.

Did you pay extra (listed on the Additional Dealer Profit window sticker) for those mats? If you did, before they get all dirty and scuffed up, take them back and ask for a 'Store Credit' from the Parts Dept. - they probably won't give you cash back or a blank set, but it can't hurt to ask.

But that's still a whole lot better than a dealer name tag that's been permanently attached to the trunk or tailgate with rivets or screws - not removable without bodywork and repaint. Or the Southern method of stamping the dealer name into the truck bumper.

When I was making a deal long-distance for my Cruiser, that was one of the questions - Are you attaching any permanent advertising tags? It's not common in CA, but you have to ask.

I'm one of those people that doesn't offer them free advertising space unless they're willing to do something in fair exchange for it - like a few years of free oil changes or something else of tangible value. And I can't remove their name tag if I'm dissatisfied with their services if their tag has been riveted on the body.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

If it is a new truck, and in some cases a used vehicle, take it back to the dealership and have them remove it and do what is necessary to make it right. If you do not get satisfaction, contact the corporate sales/customer service reps and complain. Personally, I hate all the dealer adornments and make *them* remove them, and have gone so far as to avoid dealerships placing their junk ads on vehicles.

Nate

Reply to
N Williamson

I had a stand up argument with the salesman when I bought my Ute and said that I didn't want the dealers named number plate frames and their stickers placed on my vehicle and only when I threatened to cancel the deal did he agree. hey love their free advertising. Joe

Reply to
Joe