Repairing Rust.

I have a 1990 4Runner with V6, Automatic and the rear tire carrier. The top of my rear tailgate is rusted and starting to crack. The rubber has pulled away from the window and some water does leek in. So far the window still works perfectly. I took my truck to a Toyota dealer to look at the damage. I was told it could not be fixed and I should get a replacement one from a Southern US wrecker. In my opinion this is overkill since everything still works and only the top 3 inches is rusty and cracked. However, I can not say for sure what the inside looks like. Has anyone else, especially from a Northern climate, fixed rust problems with the rear tailgate. I live in Toronto and have seen quite a few 4runner's with the same problem. Any suggestions or fixes including aftermarket parts and wreckers would be appricated.

Reply to
Silentsam

Update I took my truck to 2 more Toyota Dealers. One had not done this before and gave a huge quote of over $3000CDN. I asked them to pass the crack pipe they were smoking, they did not laugh. Oh well, on to the next dealer. The next dealer had fixed many 4Runners with rusted tailgates. I got a quote of $1800CDN. Though this quote is much better, it is still alot for a 13 year old truck. The only thing the same at all these Toyota shops was the price of the Tailgate Shell. I called 13 dealers in Toronto area, all quoted $1100 CDN. I am going to start looking for aftermarket Tailgate and hope to get the total cost closer to $1000. That I can live with.

Reply to
Silentsam