Repairing wheel wells on 1990 4Runner

Hello,

I was wondering what others in the group have done to repair the rust / body rot that seems to occur around the rear wheel wells on these vehicles. I spoke with an auto body guy the other day and he gave me the same story as one of the local body shops about welding in new quarter panels for around $2500. I'm not even sure if he meant per side or for both. In any case, it seems like a lot of money to invest in a 13 year old vehicle. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance to those who post a reply here.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

Somebody posted the following URL before, certainly cheaper than $2500!

Insp. Gadget

well 4runners will run forever, so 13 years old it's much of an issue. i do agree that welding in new quarter panels sounds kinda expensive. i just go the bondo route. i'm not terribly good with it and the body work definately doesn't look professional, but it's cheap, only like $50 a year plus a weekend of working on it.

mike

Reply to
Mike Deskevich

Welding in new qtr panels? Depends how far it has gone --- if only a single area on either side and few inches. Sand blast the area to remove all rust. Mig weld new metal in and coplete repair with lead --- will last longer than original. Or sand blast and use bondo -- and it will however swell up and need to be repaired in a year. To arrest rust try POR15 products.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Excellent idea with the mig welding in the quarter-panels. I had a body shop weld some panels in for me in 1997 as part of a body job. 6 years later they are still holding up thanks to the annual oiling and greasing that apply before each winter.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Reply to
dan-senior

Dan,

Exactly what do you mean by the "annual oiling and greasing" ? What do you use and how do you apply it? Just curious. TIA.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis