Replacing the differential pinion oil seal?

As I mentioned in a previous post, I need to R&R a leaking differential housing gasket on my '89 Toyota 4WD Truck (~160K miles). I figured that this might also be a good time to replace the differential pinion oil seal, even though it's not currently leaking. My only concern comes from reading warnings such as this:

"The proper adjustment of the relationship of the ring and pinion gears is critical. It should be attempted only by those with extensive equipment and/or experience. Doing it incorrectly is noisy and expensive."

I have experience and I have a good set of tools. I do not have the special Toyota service "counterholding tool" for locking the pinion while removing or installing & torquing the flange nut, although I probably can fabricate one.

So, my question is: is this job really that difficult to do correctly? It doesn't seem like it from reading the repair guides. On the other hand, I really don't want to screw up my differential by getting the pinion pre-load wrong. Would I be better off taking the removed differential down to the Toyota dealership (or a Toyota specialty mechanic) and have them replace the seal and ensure it's within factory specs?

Thanks for your input!

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

index the teeth from pinion to ring, make sure you torq back correctly. that warning sounds like it's for changing gears as each set is offset matched to thousands of an inch.

Reply to
Kryptoknight