Roger, you weren't kidding!

Some of you may remember my posting about these engine mounts:

Roger, you told me they would be stiff, damn... they sure as hell are! Don't get me wrong, they are wonderful.... But maybe not quite right for my Celica! :oD You should hear the hood rattle at idle... whew.. I never really realised how 'vibratory' these particular 4-bangers are.. but I guess it's just the nature of the beast, as someone else has pointed out on this group. I only put the driver's side mount in tonight because 24 is on and I wanted to get done in time to see Kiefer wreck some shop. I took the mount out and the top piece of metal was halfway torn away from the rubber.

I like the fact that the mounts included new fasteners. I wondered why socket-headed screws were included, but with that throughbolt, it's obvious when it comes time to bolt it down. (unfortunately, I dropped one into the dirt while working and didn't find it!) I wish the stuff was metric, but no big deal.. just get out the standard stuff. I don't know about the pickup trucks, but the hole in the bracket that attaches to the engine block in the Celica had to be enlarged a couple drill sizes to accomodate the larger stud on the new engine mount.

Anyway, the thing vibrates like a madman at around 950rpm. If I raise the idle to about 1200 with my foot, it smoothes out a bit. Feels like a Porsche 944 with a broken balance shaft belt. It definitely cured the juttering of the drivetrain when i let out the clutch. The car feels stiffer on that side, for sure. The chirp into second gear is much firmer as well. I'm tempted to put in the other mount, but at the same time, I'm tempted to just get OEM mounts again :o( I love the stiffness... but I don't know how fast the things will shake my car apart! :oD

In summary -- great product! I'm sure I'll never break the mounts! I would definitely recommend them to anyone with a dual transfer case setup! :o)

Reply to
Celica Dude

Here is an easy and inexpensive mod you can do to prevent a stock mount from ripping apart in the first place:

Roger Brown

from ripping apart in the first place:

yep... i was thikning about your method while I was driving around last night.. I think i'll snag the passenger's side mount off another Celica I have and to the chain thing on the mount..

Reply to
Celica Dude