Rough Idle After Overheating

Don't know what engine you have, but it's possible you blew a head gasket. You might want to check your compression...

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

Valves are no longer seating, the heat has distorted the guides in relation to the seats and now its not fully seating. Also maybe some headgasket damage??

Reply to
MDT Tech®

hey Everyone:

I was coming home the other night in my 1986 4Runner when I noticed that I has haveing some problems with a loss of power and then I noticed that my temp gauge was at max temperature. I immediately pulled over; however, when I depressed the clutch the engine stalled. I pulled it home and changed the water pump - blew the bearings out. I presume that this is why I was having low power as it siezed up and obviously for the overheating. What I don't inderstand is why after I replaced the water pump, it contiues to stall every chance it gets. It idles REALLY rough but seems to smooth out as I bring the rpm up.

I have since changed out the plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. However, it still is idling rough and will still stall itself at red lights or rush hour traffic. Obviously, I can't keep two-footing the gas and clutch/brake pedal as this is not safe.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Layne

Reply to
Jody

[...]

Seely Court

wht are the sings of bad valves how can u get tested for them??

BAIN15

Reply to
dan baker