Rubbing sound coming from front end.

My '90 4Runner has developed a rubbing noise in the front end. At first I thought it was a loose brake pad or foreign matter. I checked underneath and have not identified any foreign matter. And the sound continues when the brake is depressed.

- It is worse at first and seems to go away as the truck is driven.

- The rubbing sound happens twice with every revolution of the wheel.

- It is coming from the front end.

- It occurs if with the clutch in or out.

- It occurs in first and second gear (by third gear it seems to disappear or at least is difficult to detect do to increased speed).

I think I know what it is and am going to try to correct it today but I don't want give my guess here because I don't want to influence any responses.

Reply to
grinder

What happens if you coast down a hill in neutral, or (carefully) with engine off?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Sound does not go away with clutch in.

Reply to
grinder

Check your brake discs for runout.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Reply to
Hanke1

Bearings were packed about 15k ago.

Reply to
grinder

I got under there and greased all the U-joints along the entire drive shaft (thinking the drive shaft would be turning regardless whether the truck was in gear or in neutral). I also checked the U-joints for play and they all seem to be tight.

I have driven it for about 15 miles and all is quiet.

Reply to
grinder

I thought about that but if that were true the sound would be consistent - which it isn't. Sometimes it is present and sometimes it is not although it seems to be getting more and more consistent.

Reply to
grinder

uh huh... and as the discs rotate and as they rub against the brake pads, they heat up from friction, and the warp goes away. Question... you said the bearings were packed 15k ago... how long has the noise been there?? Ya think that the mechanic might have just tightened the axle nuts to 2 grunts and a groan, instead of using a torque wrench??

Reply to
Noon-Air

The sound came back and I took the truck out on a hill, shut it off and coasted. The sound continued but I believe I was better able to locate the sound to the lower center left of the dash.

This could be it. Upon close inspection I also noticed the needle on the speedometer moving ever so slightly with each sound.

Of course that could be because the speed is fluctuating slightly because something (like a brake pad) is wearing on the discs.

Urgh!

Reply to
grinder

Wouldn't the warp just increase?

In the last 4k.

I don't think so because of the time frame involved.

Reply to
grinder

I have owned two 1990 pickups and both of them made a rubbing sound when turning sharp to the left, such as in barely moving forward. I also was at a ball park one time and witnessed another pickup sound the same way when it pulled out from the parking space. I have never been able to determine what it was. There was a recall issued last year for a steering rod - mine was replaced and I am not sure if the noise is still there or not. Clyde in VA

Reply to
Clyde Hathaway