Running Engine With No Coolant

I have an 1986 pickup that I have drained the cooling system on .I'm going to be replacing head gasket. I need to move the truck in and out of garage. How long is a safe time to run engine. Average outside temp is 40 degrees.

Reply to
issjoe

Around 1 min Id say. Cylinder temp gets pretty damn hot VERY quickly without coolant. Is it a drama to fill with clean water?

Reply to
Scotty

Reply to
issjoe

You will be doing more damage with no coolant than full of plain water.

If you dont have to put it in and out often just push it.

Or finish the job at hand and getit running right.

Reply to
Scotty

Reply to
issjoe

Reply to
issjoe

dont mean to be disrespectful here mate, but should you be taking on a head gasket if you cant get past this stage?

| > If you dont have to put it in and out often just push it. | >

| > Or finish the job at hand and getit running right. | >

Reply to
Justin

Reply to
issjoe

better off leaving the coolant in. You will get less rust on the internal parts if you keep the coolant in.

If there is no mayonaise in your crank case then leave the coolant in. You will have to drain it to do the head gasket.

I have done six 22R head gaskets this year. I have gotten quite good at it.

Feel free to email me questions.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Personally I would leave it in until you are sure that you wont be needing to move the truck again, and then attack it from there, and make sure you have a good manual on hand for all the other stuff. As Scotty said in his previous post, it doesn't take long to get hot in there.

| > | |

Reply to
Justin

Id either push it in and out or Just put the water back in to drive it.

Reply to
Scotty

"Scotty" wrote in message news:45681989$0$23531$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au... | | "Justin"

Reply to
Justin

Couple of minutes, max. You can move from inside the garage to the side yard without any trouble. This assumes you do not live in Windsor Castle ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

If you're pretty sure you have a blown head gasket your principal concern is to prevent getting any antifreeze/coolant in the engine oil

- even small amounts of Ethylene Glycol from the coolant will do a number on the oil's lubricating qualities and the engine bearings get all chewed up. Now you need a whole rebuild.

Drain the coolant. If you want to run the engine for more than about 10 seconds at a shot, I'd put plain water in the cooling system

- running it dry is too much risk, some areas like the top of the cylinders get hot real fast. Leave the radiator cap off or loose (just at the first notch) so the cooling system can not pressurize and force any water into the oil. And restrict yourself to a few minutes for moving it in or out.

If it's a little below freezing, drain the water after moving the car. You'll need to drain it at both the engine block drain c*ck and the radiator drain c*ck to get it all. And place a drop-light or other heat source inside the car on the passenger side floorboards to keep the heater core from freezing, because you can't drain them easily.

If it's going to get seriously below freezing, until you can get it filled up with proper antifreeze/coolant mixture again the car needs to be kept above freezing in a heated garage, period. The leftover water will freeze somewhere, and can cause big problems.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

With no coolant, even for a very short time, you risk warping/damaging the block and heads, and also running the water pump dry isn't a good thing either.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Okay, you have me completely confused.

IF you drained the coolant in preparatioon for immediate engine sevice, subsequently decided the vehicle is in the wrong location, then you can start the motor for a very short time simply to move from the garage to the driveway, or something like that. I'd suggest that keeping the motor running for two minutes or less would not pose any problems beyond those you already have.

BUT, if you drained the motor planning on future service activity, then you should not have drained it yet. You can still move the vehicle, but you ought to go ahead and fill it up -- which makes your question moot (fill the motor before moving the car).

It is an inherently bad idea to run a motor with no coolant in it, but as you ask, there is a time period where coolant or no, the engine won't be damaged. I'd suggest that the time is very short, measured by a couple hundred seconds at maximum. If the new location is one where you could reasonably push the car to get to, then I'd accept the notion that you could drive it there instead. But, if you can push it, I'd have to wonder why you wouldn't do that instead of risk further damage by driving it.

You state that you are going to move the vehicle in and out of the garage, but I can't see that happening once the motor is taken apart. You are going to move the car before you take it apart, then it will not move again until it is back together again. It will move into or out of the garage, but not both. If you are going to be moving it several times before you begin repairs, then you should refill the coolant.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Man fking pee on the danm truck and push the fkr around!!!...

Reply to
;)

Reply to
issjoe

Then you should fill it up with coolant until you are ready to begin work. I suppose you could fill it with water in this instance ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland