Safety hazard with inside door handle will not open door

I am presently rolling down window to get out out truck by using outside handle on my 1995 Cheyenne 2500 extended cab with 8'cargo area. Is there a fix for the length of the rod inside the door to keep from breaking off the inside handle? The outside handle always opens the door. Both doors have same problem. I replaced the driver door latch. That did not fix the problem. The handle worked with door panel removed. Is there an interference problem? Chevy parts say they sell lots of inside door handles because of this defect.

Reply to
volkswag

Though you might get a better response from a Chevy or GM Truck group.

From a Toyota truck owner's point of view, usually it's a plastic piece that holds the rod tip from falling out that breaks due to age. I don't know if it's the same on a Cheyenne, but that's what usually happens on a Toyota.

With the door panel removed, try opening the door with the inside latch when the window is up or down. If it works with the panel off, check to see what could be hindering the latch handle rod. Also lubricating any moving parts might help.

Reply to
Rastamon

alt.autos.gm or alt.trucks.chevy

Reply to
Anyolmouse

Yesterday I purchased a new door handle for $25 at Chevy as well as a used driver door mirror at a boneyard and installed both. The problem with the door handle was a crack at the pivot point that has the spring inside. So the pivot point is hollow and not 360 degrees around but less than 270 degrees plus it is made of plastic, definitely the weak link of the mechanism. The handle pulls in when you are expecting to push the door open which leaves it to soon fail. The handle should rotate up or down not inwards. What was Chevy engineer thinking?

Gary

Reply to
volkswag

Thanks. I've subscribed since your input. Thanks again. My search didn't not show these before your mention.

Reply to
volkswag