semi-synthetic oil and changeover

I have an 88 toyota pickup and am thinking to switch over to semi-synthetic oil. I am thinking of doing an engine flush first and then going semi-synthetic. It has 190000 Km and loses a bit of oil in the summer, no burning of oil though

Any web resources, information would be greatly appreciated.

I am curious about the following:

Is it a good idea? Should I go full synthetic? Do I need a special Filter? Do I need to do an Engine Flush? Once I switch over, can you go back to regular oil --I imagine one should stay semi synthetic.

Reply to
gp

Any current oil leaks will be exacerbate. Mine didn't leak before I tried full synthetic but sure did after it. I went back to Dino oil and leaks subsided. On older vehicles with higher mileages, I like to use heavier oil in summer 10W40 or even 20W50 - ya can't do that with synthetics! I'd stick with dino after all those miles and years --- and save $$$. .

Reply to
Wolfgang

If you do mean Km and not KiloMiles then I'd wouldn't be afraid to switch. I had an '88 that I bought with 124K miles and eventally went to 50% synthetic. Oil consumption actually went down, I can only guess it freed a sticky ring or something. I *wouldn't* do an engine flush, usually disaster on an older engine. Standard filters work fine. I sold the truck with 200K + miles on it and I still see the guy driving it around town for as a hard working painter's truck 3 years later.

Reply to
JeB