Sequoia w engine sludge

I hate to open a can of worms, since there's been a fuss in the past about Toyota engines w sludge problems, but does anyone have any info about Sequoia engines w that problem? I have a 2001, regularly maintained, that recently suddenly began making nasty engine noise, we shut it down, towed it to a dealer, they opened up the engine and there's the sludge all over the oil sump and elsewhere. They say the bearings and crankshaft are very likely irrepairably damaged and we need to replace the engine. Any thoughts, anyone?

Reply to
SOTMHK

You are way to late too avoid that.

Never heard of a problem with sludge in the Toyota V-8s. Plenty of complaints of piston slap, but none for sludge.

Have you owned the truck since new?

How many miles on the truck?

Do you have receipts for regular oil changes?

Did you do regular oil changes?

Did you change your PCV valve per the maintenance the schedule?

Where are you located?

Do you do a lot of short trips in cold weather?

What sort of oil have you been using?

Sludge forms for a lot of reasons - over cooked oil, excessive contamination from blow-by, poor quality oil, your engine is just worn out.....

I don't think sludge is a common problem for Toyota V-8s. I am of the opinion that you didn't change your oil often enough for your operating conditions. I have no problem trashing Toyota over the 4 and V6 sludge problems of 7+ years ago, but I don't think your case can be blamed on Toyota.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White