service manual recommendation?

Looks like I'm going to need a service manual for my 93 Toyota Pickup in order to diagnose a minor problem with a sensor or something. Does anyone have a recommendation for Chilton's or other brands?

Go with Haynes. Chiltons only goes so far before they tell you to go to a mechanic. Haynes can tell you how to completely tear down your truck and reassemble it. Chiltons is for automotive noobies, still a good book but not if you are serious about diy repair work. ;) Dee

Reply to
Pookerz

Get the factory manual.

Reply to
JeB

If you are going to keep the truck, get the factory manual!!\\

Reply to
Bill & Lynda

If you are going to do a lot of work over a long period of time, go with the factory manual. $$$ I tried to get by with Chilton and Haynes and it hasn't been easy. The Chilton I bought in 98 (for a 93 PU) did tell me how to read trouoble codes.

However, if you are in it for the short run, there is another alternative, which I tried for kicks last month: Toyota now has online technical database, complete with manual pages, schematics, service bulletins. It is by subscription: $10 for a day (more like 1.5 days if you do it right), $50 for a month (I think), etc. for access to all Toyotas. Be warned: it does not work unless you are running W98SE or newer, 450MHz processor, Acrobat Reader 5.0 (not 4.0, not 6.0) -- read the fine print. It is buggy. I ended up going to the library to access it. If you have a fairly new PC and broadband, you could spend a few hours and suck it dry of everything about your PU for $10.

Also, somebody posted a manual similar to factory service manual (in content) for the 95 4 runner at
Ihave found most of the 4 cyl info seems applicable to 93 4 cyl (which Ihave). It covers the sensors. You have to look hard, cause one file willcover sensor basics, another trouble codes, another sensor intermediates,and another advanced sensors. Download 4runnerfiles.zip and unzip -- don'twaste your time with individual files.

Reply to
James Andrus