"Shift Solenoid B" error

Hey All - Sorry for the long post...I have an intermittent problem with my 1996 T-100 SR5 3.4L v6 Automatic, 203,000 miles. Owned it since

14,500 miles.

Scan tool says "Shift Solenoid B", as well as "Slow o2 sensor response." My understanding is that a solenoid is either good or bad, not intermittent. I've already ordered a new front o2 sensor. No check engine light, probably because it's burned out (does not show on start-up, either).

On occasion on starting from a stop, it will run through first gear as normal, except revving up to 3500-4000 rpm's, then shift into what feels like a sluggish 3rd gear, kind of bogging down (even though it's about 2000 rpm). No matter how hard I step on the accelerator, it will slowly gain speed & rpm's. When at a freeway speed of 60 mph, the tach will be around 2700, and will drop to around 2350 when I turn OFF the overdrive button, and increase again when I turn it back on!

It seems I can sometimes temporarily correct the problem on the freeway by tapping the brake pedal. It will also sometimes correct when I come to a complete stop, then start out again. I can go a week without this problem, then have it for a week or more. Ambient temp and engine temp seem to have no affect.

While it's having this problem, I can manually shift into 2nd gear and hit the gas, and the engine revs like it is in neutral. If I start out while in 2nd gear, it will rev up in 1st, then there is no power transfer when it shifts into the non-existent 2nd.

Any ideas are accepted with a big thanks in advance!

rangervig

Reply to
rangervig