Shifter seat & bushing question

Hi all, I have read some of the various posts on manual tranny shifting difficulties. I have some minor problems with my 93 3.0 4X4 PU soI thought I would try the easiest things first. I bought a new shifter seat and the white plastic bushing. I took the boots off and got to the top of the tranny where the shifter is bolted in. I really don't want to unbolt the whole assembly because the 2 front bolts are pretty hard to get at. My question is: Is it possible on this model to remove the shifter without unbolting everything? Do I need a special tool? I tried pressing down on the inner part around the shifter and turning it a quarter turn to the left. But it doesn't budge. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Terry

Reply to
Terry