Shock replacement 101

I have a 98 4X4 V6 and I want to replace the shocks. It seems the shocks should be really easy to change, especially in the back. I haven't bought the shocks yet, but once I remove the old shocks, will the new one's be the right length, or do I have to stretch or compress them to lineup? Do I even need to jack the truck up for the rears?

Also, my friend said I need a spring compressor for the fronts shocks, as the spring is under tension. I thought that was only a problem with struts. This appears to be a shock with the spring set into a flange on the outside. It seems to me just using a jack should allow me to move the wheel up and down to release the tension and replace the shock?

I know these two questions sounds sort of elementary, but hell. I don't know the answer.. LOL

Joel

Reply to
Joel

If they are gas charged shocks then they will expand on their own and need to be compressed to fit. Most gas shocks come with a band on them that can be cut after installing or compressed by hand if the band is cut. Some are hard to compress by hand so the easiest and safest method is to install them before cutting the band. This may require jacking the truck until the suspension is fully extended, place on stands and use jack under spring pad or diff. tube to raise as necessary.

If the spring isn't attached to the shock but to the upper and lower A-arms then you are correct, you don't need a spring compression tool. If the flange is attached to the shock then it is a strut and you will need a compression tool. If yours does have struts, which I think it does, then there may still be tension on the spring when A-arm is full extended. With front on stands, you may be able to support the lower A-arm with a jack, unbolt the strut at the top and lower enough to relieve this tension. If so, mark the lower mounting brackets with paint or scratch awl where the strut attaches before removing strut assembly. This way you can reinstall assembly to the line you made and alignment will be close enough not to cause damage for a short time, that is long enough to get to an alignment shop. On struts you will need an alignment after replacing. Some parts stores have loaner tools and some will R&R the springs if you buy the shock/struts from them. Some shops will R&R the springs for a nominal fee. If the spring pads are plastic it is a good idea to replace them as well.

I hope you take this advice seriously, if you are a novice on struts then this is not the place to gain experience without an experienced person to help you. The energy in a compressed spring can cause serious to fatal injuries. Also, do not try to R&R the springs without the proper tools, I've seen jury-rigs slip and the stored energy in a spring is uncontrollable. Spray all bolts, threads and etc. with a good penetrant, like PB Blaster or Kroil, a couple times before, starting a day ahead if possible. HTH, Dave

Reply to
davidj92

Reply to
harriswest

Wait, now I'm confused. You mean the shock and spring come out together with the spring still compressed? It looks to me like on a 98 Tacoma 4X4 the spring is over the shock and only attached to the shock at the bottom? So I can remove the shock and spring together then I have to have the spring compressor to separate the two? Hmm, I see all sorts of posts on here for people replacing shocks on 98's so I would be interesting to know for sure. While I don't have a problem taking the truck or shock/spring assembly to the shop. I just don't want to waste my money, as it sure looks like the shock isn't built like a strut.

Joel

Reply to
Joel

Yes, the shock and spring are together, just like a strut.

Reply to
Mike

Joel,

What he said. The 2WD are much simpler, not needing a spring compressor, but the 4WD (and IIRC the 2WD 4-Runners) both have the shock/spring together as a unit.

You remove the shock/spring as an assembly then either disassemble on the bench with a spring compressor or have a shop dismantle the unit and replace the shock for you.

This was discussed at length a while back in the Toy_Coma group (see below for link).

You do have a factory shop manual, no? Not cheap, but money well spent IMHO.

Got a Tacoma? Join spam free

a Corolla? Join spam free

Mike Harris