Signal Lights not working

I have a 91 extened cab pickup. My turn signals stopped working. The hazzard flashers work and the lights blink, as well as the brake light and parking lights.

When I push down or up....nothing. All lights are on and it doesn't appear to be a burnt out bulb.

Any suggestions? The Haynes mannual doesn't really offer anything. Thanks for your help.

John

Reply to
john-sommer

You said that all the lights are on. Do you mean the turn signal bulbs light up but don't blink? If so it sounds like you may have a bad flasher.

Reply to
Mike

no...they don't come at all when I use the turn signal....nothing. I thought it was bad bulbs but they work when I use the Hazzard switch. Suggestions?

Reply to
John

Have you checked for a blown fuse or a bad turn signal flasher yet ?

Reply to
Mike

Nothing happens when I use the turn signal...nothing, no light. The lights do work when using the hazzard switch.

Suggestions.

Reply to
John

When you use the turn signal lever, do the lights not flash or not come on at all? If they don't flash, change your flasher module which is in the fuse block under the dash. If they don't come on at all, your "combination switch" inside your steering wheel is bad.

Reply to
MrFixit469

Thanks to all for their replies....Last night I was starting to work on on all the the small things before tackling the combination switch. I started with the fuse panel...and I found a blown fuse. I replaced it with a 10 Amp fuse and the signal lights worked.

Looks like I'll be returning the flasher and 8 bulbs. Thanks again for your help.

John

Reply to
John

Keep the bulbs, and put them where you can find them - with a 15 year old car you'll need them. And when one goes, change them all as a batch because they all have the same hours on them.

I have a medium size tackle box in the garage with only auto bulbs - it's cheaper to buy a 10-lamp carton than four lamps in the retail blister packs. They don't go bad, and they get used.'

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

The Emergency Flashers and the Turn Signals are the same bulbs and wires. If the flashers work but the turn signals don't, the trouble has to be related to the turn signal switch.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Good call. Assuming the flasher unit is okay, the next thing is the turn signal switch.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

John try rapidly operating the hazard switch as the hazard switch disconnects the flashers to operate there might be some sticky mechanism or dirty contacts rapid repeated operation sometimes frees and cleans the mechanism for a while. Joe

Reply to
Joe