smog data plate under hood question-

Missing the smog data plate under the hood of my 85 pickup (california emissions- sigh). Went to the toyota dealership to order one (according to them I'm out of compliance without it), they can't order them any longer. Anyone know where I might get one? Thanks Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

Will they accept a photocopy? You might be able to photo one in a junkyard.

Reply to
max-income

I don't have hte plate on my car but the smog shop tested it anyway, passed just fine, I don't think it's gotta be there, just helps them figure out what kind of engine and smog setup it has.

c-ya

zed

patrick mitchel wrote:

Reply to
zed

Hi Zed; I don't have the thing either- been through at least 3 smog tests without it. The toyota guys were the ones that said "not in compliance". As if I'm some corporation that hasn't passed smog standards and is going to be fined for the offense. Btw- I went to toyota to get one of the bimetallic valves on the intake manifold- hunk of brass bottom with some thermal element- $53 dollah! Said thanks, but I'll use the superglue to put the thing back together one more time- every time I do something close to it, I manage to fracture the thing causing a vacuum leak and rough running around idle- tells me in plain terms, time to glue it again- I tried epoxy after thorough cleaning but it was stil prone to breakage. Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

Yeah, thats probably what I'll do- though getting the hood on the xerox machine is gonna be a b*tch. Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

Smartass. ;-)

Seriously - take a good digital camera, two or three rulers, and a roll of masking tape to the wrecking yard with you (or wherever you locate a matching truck).

Tape the rulers to the car so they show up right at the top and bottom of the sticker (leave a 1/4" margin), get the hood up and the car turned toward the sun, and take lots of pictures from straight on, highest picture resolution setting you have, getting the ruler in the pictures. No flash - if you are straight on the bounce will make a bright washed-out spot no matter what you do.

When you get the photo into the computer, you can adjust the parallax so the text is square and even, and the size so the ruler is accurate on the print.

Then you print it off on permanent sticker stock like they used originally, cover it with self-stick clear "laminating" plastic, then cut it out and stick it on the car. If it would pass a cursory inspection, that's all you need.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Have you tried "J & B" weld ? Could save your Bacon.....

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN