Source for alloy wheels for 1990 4Runner?

Hello,

I need to replace the wheels on my 1990 4Runner SR5. There are 3 types of wheels that were available for it originally. Specifically, plain steel, a fancier steel wheel, and aluminum alloys. I have 4 of the fancier steel wheels and 1 of the plain steel (spare tire rim).

What has happened is that the rims have rusted inside and the tires slowly leak. This has happened with 1 of the fancier rims and the plain steel one. I've had them checked a couple of times and there isn't much that can be done with them other than cleaning up the area as best as possible and applying extra sealant to the rim. Unfortunately, the tires still leak.

I checked the local junkyards, but was unable to find any. I've also kept an eye on the local area buy/sell paper without any luck. An online search came up with the plain steel rims at $100 each. Ouch. Once I found a set of alloy wheels for $300, but they were located in CA and the shipping to the Northeast would have been prohibitive. This vehicle isn't fancy at all. I just want to make it safer and not have to put air in the tires every few days.

Does anyone here have any sources?

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply here.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

Got to eBay and search for 4RUNNER OEM WHEELS (or FOURRUNNER) or variations. You can include the year if you need to narrow the search results.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Either your useing inferior wheels or letting them go far beyond safe if they are leaking due ot rusting. You should be able to get some new steel rims for less than $100 each, heck last set I bought were $50 each powder coated white. (They began to rust and I chucked em in favour of a set of new alloys at $110 each)

Reply to
Scotty

They also had a chrome version of the styled steel sport wheels. You should be able to sand or sand blast the inside mounting rim and repaint --- unless it is highly pitted. Are you airing tires down and letting water get in them? Or adding Slime or someother leak preventative which accellerates the rusting? You should be able to get a used set of the OEM alloys for about $150 and the steel wheels for $75 a set of 4). With the alloys you need the special lug nuts too. The alloys have a clear coat applied to outside from the factory - which will probably be mostly gone. They can be poslished but its a lot of work. Check your local Craigslist to find some local and avoid big shipping costs. I have a single chrome sport wheel in great shape left from my old '90 and am on the east coast (VA).

Reply to
Wolfgang