Speedo Cable noise??- 96 Tacoma

Hi

I'm hearing what appears to be a noise that corresponds to the speed of the vehicle behind the dash. I'm assuming it's the speedo cable.

The truck is a 96 Tacoma LX, V6 with 91K miles. It is usually louder in the morning when it is colder.

Is this easily replaced and what should I expect to pay for the parts. Also any web sites that can help with this type of repair??

Thanks for all the help. Martin.

Reply to
Martin Hirsch

Remove your dash panel, unclip all the speedo cable holders under the vehicle and unscrew the cable from the gear box.

This is so you can pull the dash panel further out get your hand behind and undo the speedo cable from the dash cluster.

Geta mate to put the end of the speedo cable in the chuck of a drill and while hes spinning it slowely pour some light oil down the speedo cable tube. The noise yoru hearing is teh grease drying out and the cable will start to chatter.

I did this one mine around a year or so ago and to date no further noise.

Hope that helps you out. takes about an hour or so but worth not taking to the dealer, they will just sell you a new cable and charge you a fortune. If that still doesnt fix it you now know how to remove the old one and replace it yourself.

Reply to
Scotty