speedometer might not be accurate

Every time my speed shows on a roadside radar speed indicator, the speed displayed on my speedometer is three MPH less than the radar shows it to be. Anyone seeing something similar?

99 Toyota Tacoma 4cyl super cab, standard tires & wheels
Reply to
Old Geezer

I should have said the speed displayed on my speedometer is three MPH higher than the radar shows it to be.

Anyone seeing something similar?

Reply to
Old Geezer

It'll be more accurate when the tires are worn out

3mph at what speed? At 50mph that's 6% At 25 it would be 12%. A smaller tire size would help - and I'll bet your "standard" tires are not the same size AND brand as original
Reply to
clare

That changes things. Are the tires NEW, or worn? And it is not uncommon for speedos to read high. Helps keep you from getting as big a speeding ticket as you would otherwize get.

What you need to do is check the ODOMETER against a "measured mile". If it is accurate, check the speedo with a GPS.

Otherwize, like a said in the first reply.

Reply to
clare

I doubt that very few speedometers show the actual speed at all speeds. Three MPH may not be bad . My 2007 Tacoma 2 wheel drive is close to showing

5 miles faster than I am actually going at 55 MPH. I use my GPS to determin the speed. Those things are suspose to be accurate to less than 1 mph.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Reply to
First of One

The tires have between 10,000 & 15,000 miles on them.

Reply to
Old Geezer

Just checked my PT Cruiser today against the GPS - reads 3kph high at

100 KPH, and .3km long per 10 km. Tires are half worn standard tires. With the oversize snows I run in the winter it's out 3 the other way.
Reply to
clare