Spring eye bolt removal

My 92 Toy truck needs to have the springs worked on - frame is 2 inches too low. I am looking to have them rearched. If I take springs out, it will cost $150. If shop takes springs out, it will cost $350 for whole job. JC Whitney only sells 4WD replacement. Other places on web don't have much for 2WD half ton.

I have done this before on other cars. Hardest part of the job might be getting the bolts out of the spring eyes. In past I have had to burn them out. Others came out with NO problems after many years in NJ salty winters.

I am seeking suggested ways of getting the bolts out. I have some DUOL penetrating oil ( petroleum would eat the bushings if they are in good shape - only 77,000 miles on this truck vs the 200-300 thousand on trucks mentioned in this group )which will not eat the rubber.

I am just planning on soaking the bolts on each eye daily for a week and using a BFH to bang the bolt once I have loosed the nut to the end of the bolt to prevent thread damage.

Any other removal tricks welcome ??? TIA

Reply to
Zing

A case of your favorite friend's favorite beer is the cheapest way to get them out. My experience has parralleled yours: a BFH and if that fails then a torch. I was watching Stacy on Speed Channels Trucks show and he cut the bolts with a reciprocating saw between the hanger and spring. Springs came out and you could have them in a better position to hammer on, then replace the bolts. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92